Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice/? bag help and ideas >

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Rice/? bag help and ideas

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by laralea
dried corn - not popcorn. I have a great article on why and how to use feed corn and I've made lots of bags with it. I'll be happy to send the pdf file if you pm me. I checked the website diamondthreadworks.com where I got it and it's no longer there.
Ditto,love the corn!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
...My mom gets very cold feet that she says seems as if she just can't warm through the cold months. She also has nerve sensitivity in her feet, covers seem too heavy....
Get your mom some wool socks, good for cold feet day and night. Used with the rice bag they would also protect her sensitive feet from an accidentally too-hot bag. Even a wool blend is helpful; I have some 3% cashmere socks that are definitely warmer than my regular ones.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
I have only used rice, becareful not to over heat them in the microwave because they can burn. You have to work at it, I have only done it once. I haven't tried flax seed. Field corn holds the heat best and the longest. However, I think it is very attractive to bugs, rodents. So I just stick with rice. I like fleece when making rice bags, so nice and soft.
I also used corn in mine. I made gobs of them last year for gifts. When each was done I put them in the microwave for
several minutes to kill 'anything' that was in there. Before that
we had some given to us...they've also been in the microwave
and never had a problem.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM

I have made a ton of "corn warmers." I use whole kernel dried corn and buy it at our local gardening store. I store these warmers on a closet shelf. We have one for each family member and then a few extra. Made them for a ton of relatives.(the school secretary uses it to warm up her bed in the winter.) We do not have a problem with bugs or critters in the house, so can't answer if a critter would be attracted to them.
I can give you directions if you would like,, just PM me.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 PM

I have a lovely smelling lemon balm plant. Do you think I could dry the leaves and use that? What about other herbs and scents like rosemary, regular mint, cardamom, or cinnamon mixed in with the rice? Or how about evergreens? I guess you can see you've got my brain twirling!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM

Anything aromatic would work well if it can stand being heated. I use rice mainly in a 6" strip folded in half and sewn into a tube, then turned inside out and made into tunnels to distribute the rice evenly, and found it works great.

My only problem has been keeping my children out of them so I can use them! I just whipped up 8 of them last weekend to get a supply of them on hand for our aches and pains this winter.

2 minutes is too long in my microwave, but the heat will last for 20 minutes direct heat and 40+ minutes indirect heat. For the first 10 minutes out of the microwave, I usually have to put the bag on another towel to cool it down so I don't get burned.

Nice thing is that the bag works in the refrigerator just as well when things get hot, so it is ideal for muscle aches.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM

I've been thinking of making a couple with cinnamon, cloves and ginger in them...a little pumpkin pie, if you will. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how much of each to how much rice?

I like the lavender because it is a relaxing scent. Sometimes if I have trouble sleeping, I just tuck one under my head and let the scent relax me. I used the buds in mine.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:36 PM

Try this link...

www.microwavecornbags.com/construction.../complete_corn_bag_info.pdf
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
I have a lovely smelling lemon balm plant. Do you think I could dry the leaves and use that? What about other herbs and scents like rosemary, regular mint, cardamom, or cinnamon mixed in with the rice? Or how about evergreens? I guess you can see you've got my brain twirling!
Is your lemon balm plant the same thing that we call a mosquito plant in Michigan? It is a lemon geranium plant---which I have several---didn't think of using anything like this.
Can I just add some of my lavendar to the corn warmers that I make???? I also have tons of mint...so if anyone has done this, please let me know.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 AM

When I make my "hot/cold packs" I line my bags with Warm and Natural. It keeps the heat in so much longer, also the cold when in the freezer. Rice is also smoother and with the W & N as the lining, you can hardly feel the rice. There are no lumps like with corn or beans.