Still rather shocked

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM

I am so glad you are wise. Sometimes a woman who has lost her husband is subject to being preyed on which I think is really sad.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I am assuming she is desparate. otherwise she is a crook. so i'm hoping she was just in real need. You don't have to help if you don't want to. women have it hard in life, no matter how advanced they say we are.
i'm still waiting to see what happens here if my hubby goes before me. he's 20 yrs older and in bad health. i don't even know if i will be able to stay in this falling down house.
hugs to you hon ((()))
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM

Thank you all for your condolenses. It's not been easy, but we're taking it one day at a time, sometimes one minute.

I honestly feel very offended. I thought she was honestly calling to check on the kids and me.

I will be reporting her and sharing this info with the realtor. I will also be going to my bank to make sure no one comes in and makes a withdrawl.

With her doing the closing papers on the house here, they have alot of personal info on them, SS#, bank account #, I want to make sure that no one acts like they're me.

Thank you again for your insight into what things I should do. I didn't even think about reporting her to the mortgage board.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I also want to offer my condolences on the loss of your husband.

Glad you were not "suckered in" by this person - sounds like your steps for "preventive maintenance" are wise moves
Old 10-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Now that is amazing. I hope the situation is that she is so desperate that she'll ask near-strangers for money; otherwise it's just plain loony!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Thats the craziest thing I ever heard. What nerve and you barely know her
Old 10-29-2011, 09:49 AM

It amazes me how people can do something like this and think it's alright! When my husband passed, the insurance man brought me a sizable check which was for my future. He then whines that he misses his wife and baby back in Turkey and if I would invest that money in his company he would be able to go see them. Needless to say, I called his superiors and he was transferred to another state. That still wasn't enough to justify his nerve! I'm so sorry for your loss. During that time you aren't sure which way to turn but I'm glad you were smart enough to see it. Be very careful - widows are targets. It took me awhile to smarten up and learn to say NO. Trust and love yourself and pay close attention to your instincts; they're usually right. God bless. Lynda
Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM

Unethical, insensitive, pushy...just a few of the adjectives that come to my mind. I am so glad you didnt agree to either a loan or cosigning a loan. WOWZER..unreal
Old 10-29-2011, 11:46 AM

It sounds like desperation to me.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM

Please be careful & keep your promise to yourself.They say you might have to bar the doors after a death in the family......as you'll get mail, calls etc.All with a "good" reason for stealing your money.

My Dad always felt if someone din't have the money today,then how would they pay it back? With the economy like it is,there's a lot of scammers out there. be careful.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by tuesy
Today I received a call from my mortgage broker that I've known for about 8 years. We used her when we bought this house.
Anyways, we're not chummy, or even best friends. We say "Hi" if we see each other in town, etc.
With the passing of my DH, the kids and I were thinking of moving, so I called her and my real estate agent (the one who sold us this house) to see what the market was like and what I would have to do to the house to sell it. I was just feeling the market and kicking around ideas.. which they both knew.
After all the comps were in and taking alot of other things into consideration, I decided that right now isn't the time to sell.

Well today I get a call from my mortgage broker. She says she just calling to "chit chat" and see how we're doing. Asks about me, the kids, talked about me staying put for awhile, etc..
Then she says "I have something to ask you and don't know how to ask other than to just come out with it". I said ok hesitantly..then she says "I'm wanting to know if you could let me borrow $2800 and I'll pay you back or I could take out a loan and you could co-sign for me, but I'd pay the payments" She didn't tell me what the money was for, other than it was "really important" that she get this money. Oooh and she's not working either..

Of course I'm not going to give her any money or co-sign, but still.. How can people be so gusty or insensative to the fact that I didn't win the lottery, I lost my husband who made sure that he provided for the kids and I??? I just don't get it..