Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Lumberyard Quilts???

Originally Posted by resource fabricologist View Post
Our quilting group saves all our scraps. They're made into dog beds and donated to the humane society. Also check out Lumberyard quilts. You cut 21/2X 21/2, 21/2X 41/2, 41/2X 41/2,and 21/2X81/2 inch scraps and throw them in a box. Someday when the box gets full enough, they will all sew together into a nice scrapy quilt.
I am really new to the quilt world. What are Lumberyard quilts? Would love more info because I love scrappy quilts.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Beautiful! Gets my energies going to sort all of my scraps!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM

This is fantastic - can hardly wait to separate my scraps and really feel energized by the bright colors I can put together! How exciting! Thank you
Old 01-22-2012, 10:53 AM

every so often I take mine and trim them down to squares of various sizes, then store them in stackable plastic bins, and then when I need to do something mindless I just start chain piecing and by the end of the day I have a top done.

I also use them to fill in around blocks that I've cut from panels and set them randomly in the squares.

Strips go to string quilts.

We use a lot of these quilts here locally for the foster care kids, nursing home, and burn out victims. We have also done fundraisers for the local fire departments and other non profits.

Doing quilt as you go is another nice way to use these up.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

Have a look at Noriko Endo's web site and look at her 'confetti quilts' it's a great way to use your scraps!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Edyta Sidar has 2 books on scrap quilts and they are beautiful! Think 2x before tossing scraps.
I just made a small zippered case for my mp3 player witrh a section for the earbuds and cord. I just sewed many strips together, cut everything on an angle for interest, added an inside pocket and zipper. Ipad covers, book covers, and kitchen potholders, etc. or todecorate tea towels can be done.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Here's what I do with scraps:
Attached Thumbnails 2007_0625trip20100010.jpg  
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM

I'll take any and all scraps you folks don't want ! I've become involved in a couple of "ministries" one is for the homeless, another is for children in foster care, where my heart really is, since I was raised in foster care ! I'm almost 65, live alone on a very limited budget, ALL I have is time to give ! I've been knitting a lot lately and it would be great (in my mind) to be able to give a knitted hat and a lap quilt to the local hospital/foster kid home; or local nursing home.

REally, I would appreciate anything. Thank you in advance !
Sandy
Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM

I save up a big bunch and when I put them in my garage sale they go first thing. Most people love to go through them. I sometimes sew mine together also, and I have been known to put my ufo's into the scrap pile as well, so
they have a little something extra to play with.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM

reading along and it is soooo great to see that there are quilters using and loving thier scraps. i am in an area and have rec'd bags of scraps fr mil church quilt group. fr friends too. am teased at one of my quilt groups for the size of my pieces when i am working on another mini. one lady got teased for the number of times she mis-cut a piece...she was loudly informed to 'be more careful...the pieces keep getting smaller and smaller and that's probably how pam got started!!!'...well, no not exactly. but the feedsack, antique prints etc that i got from estate sales/auctions and of course sally collins http://www.sallycollins.org/ were the biggest incentives. i took a class from ms. collins yrs back which was an immense help in refinining my technique. plus i got to meet an amazing artist/quilter person. i save/accept scraps down to 1" in size...they often need trimming for accuracy of size which becomes sooo much more important in miniature/small scale piecing.

Last edited by roguequilter; 01-22-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: forgot a bit of info