Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM

4 patches are quick. Snowballs are quick. HST are quick. Rail Fences are quick.

Add the poem, but skip the pocket!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 PM

You've got about 6 weeks. Could you possibly make 100 or so at home, let the kids chose the rug they like and customize it? If you are just using one piece per side, and birthing them, that shouldn't take too long. NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but will take time.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
So the gifts aren't really coming from the kids?? Am I missing something here? Your boss is paying you to make gifts for the mom's of the children you work with?

Sounds reasonable to me.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:48 PM

this post will probably be pulled but it sounds like a few people here are pretty dead set in how a person unknown to them should run their pre-school. If the owner wants to give the moms mug rugs, that's her business. If she wants to ask the teacher to make them, that's her business.

Our poster asked for suggestions on how to get 62 done in the time available. She's not asking for opinions on what the school owner is allowed to do.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
Your boss has a lot of "hutzpah" in my opinion.
Ohhh, I so agree! Either that or she wears a Size One hat! Mothers appreciate and hold dear anything their children make themselves.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 AM

After your last posting, this all makes more sense now. Sounds like you really don't have a problem other than possibly time management and needing enough patience to complete the project.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM

Your idea sounds lovely, and the children will also get up close and personal with a sewing machine- first time for many, no doubt. Good luck with it!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM

Megan, I think what you are doing is a wonderful idea! The kids and mothers alike will love it!! I am sorry many on this board are being so negative and mean spirited about this whole thing. It is a trait that is showing up more often lately and I for one am not finding this a great place to hang out because of it. Giving of yourself and helping these kids learn something new is awesome and I am sure some of these will remember you as the neat teacher who taught them about quilting. I still remember my 4th grade teacher who went to the worlds fair in Seattle Washington, she came back and made the whole thing come alive for us by helping us to build a replica of what she saw there. Out of the box ideas can make touching memories!!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
FINALLY!!!!! A voice of reason!! Why all the negative and critical talk??? She just asked for ideas!!??!! Keeping it simple and letting the kids decorate them is a wonderful idea!! Have a talk with the principal and let her know they won't be done as nicely as yours but the moms will love them with their children's artistic talents shining forth. Bless you for taking it on! Kids love to get involved and be a part of something like this, even if they don't think so at first! Many a bad attitude has changed through knowing that someone cares about their input.
I think this is a wonderful idea. I wish I was closer to you as I would love to help. The idea of potentially infecting 60+ kids with the quilt bug?!?!? And get paid for it? I would jump at the chance. I also think if the kids at least pick the fabric it would help. I also think a hand print on plain muslin would work. You can bring in muslin on a bolt with lines drawn on it like cutting lines or something and have the kids plop a hand print right in the middle. Quilt around it and stitch the edges shut and bam. If my kids brought home mug rugs like that I'd use them forever. I paid a ridiculous sum once for 2 refrigerator magnets when my older two boys were small. They are still on my fridge, though falling apart, but it was an art project. I think it's a great idea and I applaud you. Just makes me wish I could help ya out! Sounds like fun.

Of course, I make, entirely for free, a small quilt every time a teacher at the elementary school has a baby, even if they aren't my sons teachers. It's a way for me to give back to the great teachers who sacrifice so much to help the kids learn.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Good deal if you are getting paid for your supplies as well as time ... though would the parents appreciate something made for the kids .... and paid for out of their enrolment fees?

I would tend to think that parents would sooner have something poorly done by the kids, yet made with their ♥! Or am I off track here?
The way I read the original post the mug rugs would be a gift from the school owner, and IMO she is entitled to give a gift if she wants.