Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
This sounds like a great idea - better yet invest in a pinking blade for your rotary cutter and production will even be faster. Good luck!
The rotary pinking blade sounds like the quickest edge! I agree, something by the child should be included, if the handprint is too large, two nicely placed thumbprints would make a nice heart. Also could use rubber stamps with fabric ink, for an option. I like the idea of having a pretty fabric top, and a muslin back imprinted with something by the child, name and date.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM

I agree with Deedum. That is a lot to ask of someone. Most parents would rather have a piece of paper if their child made it than something someone else made to give them.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM

I'm interested in 1, also. Add me to the list of 62-(ha-ha). As Cybrarian says, decorate the front, an sign the back.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This reasoning is why every child gets a trophy when they don't do anything to earn it.
REALLY??? What are you talking about?? This isn't a grade or reward for them, it is helping them to make something for their moms. If you read carefully you will note that I implied to let them do it with help where needed. I am not an advocate of rewarding where it is not earned and why you want to make this an argument about that is anybodies guess??
The woman asked for ideas not all this other nonsense!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM

Another cute project is doing india ink thumbprints and making a picture with them. Ie add antenna or legs with a skinny marker for bugs. Two close together become a heart or a butterfly or a snowman. Several become a daisy. Let your imagination run with it.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM

What poem are you using?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
The original idea was to have them color a picture for their moms, scan, and print on the iron-on paper and use it for the backing. But we decided against it, as sometimes the kids just scribble (the ones we KNOW can draw will not feel like it).

She would be paying for all supplies, and I would still be paid for my time as well, so I'm OK with doing it.
You could still do this but instead of a pict how about their handprint? My grandson's pre-k teacher did that with quilt blocks and it was the most precious thing I could have gotten for Xmas this year....you could resize the hand to fit and have them print their name...
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM

So the gifts aren't really coming from the kids?? Am I missing something here? Your boss is paying you to make gifts for the mom's of the children you work with?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM

I think I should clarify things a bit:

I work for a private preschool, not a free/public one. My boss (the director) had a HUGE box of 'fun' fabric stash that she bought when she was going to learn how to sew, then decided sewing wasn't her thing. So supplies are covered from her pocket.

As for the Art teacher: I AM the art teacher; I'm not assisting one. What she is doing as far as time is having me do some late-start days and log my time sewing at home and she will pay me.

What we decided on is this: I will take the fabric in and let the children pick their fabrics. I'll come home and make the rugs, but not do the 'decorative' stitching. I'm going to bring in my machine (or she still has the Bernina that she bought to learn on) and let the kids help me finish them. (One-on-one with each child, having them help me feed the rugs through the machine for quilting). Then I will use fabric paint to help the children make handprints on each rug. We'll attach a poem, biscotti and tea-bag to each and the kids will give them to the moms.

Obviously, if they are too rambuctious (or some of the younger kids) they will only help with some of the quilting, not all of it (for safety reasons). But this way the moms will get something functional, made with help from their child.

I'm just going to do simple rugs, one piece for front, one for back, using the 'birthing' method.

Sorry if there was some confusion... we've gone back and forth about how much to involve the kids. For me it isn't about whether she is paying me 'enough' for my time; I'm just happy to bring one of my hobbies in to use at my workplace, and expose the kids to a new type of art - one that isn't just paper and glue and crayons.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by LoupEsprit View Post
OK, so for Christmas, I made mug rugs for each of my son's preschool teachers. Fast forward to now, and I work there as an assistant teacher/art instructor.

Apparently my boss loved them SO much, that she wants me to make them for EVERY child to give one to their moms for Mother's Day... That's about 62 kids!!

So, as I prepare to grab about a case of wine and move into my sewing room for the next month or so... Does anyone have any suggestions on making multiples? Favorite 'simple' pattern ideas?

Our thought was to buy a variety of material, and let the kids pick a few fabrics to make them out of. They won't look good together, most likely, but the fact that the kids 'participated' by picking the fabric makes them special, right?

The other thought we had was to put a small pocket on the front of each mugrug, and include a teabag along with the poem explaining what a mug rug is.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Basically, as long as it's not complicated piecing or applique, I'm open to suggestions!

Do a tissue holder and ask if she's settle for that. There are two styles on this board and both are very quick. AND VERY CUTE!