Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did I get myself into?? >

What did I get myself into??

What did I get myself into??

Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM

I have found, as a head start helper, that the mothers are just as proud of a scribble as they are of a masterpiece. I think letting the children do the coloring or using markers on plain muslin is a great idea and letting them "sign" their name on the back and you can date them. Then put them together and fray the edges instead of binding them. Much simpler and the kids will be so proud of themselves.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 AM

Oh yes, by all means include a poem about what a mug rug is so that mom will know what she is getting.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM

Personally, I would have declined. For Mother's Day?? They aren't my Mother and while that may seem mean spirited, I thought of Mother's Day was for the CHILD to honor their Mother, not the teachers. Also, I don't really have a problem with the teachers helping, but again, personally, I would rather see teachers teaching.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM

I think it is a nice idea, and I am sure that you will enjoy doing it and feel like you gave of yourself. That always makes things feel rewarding. I do hope you let the kids do something on the back muslin, something that would make them feel like they gave too. Have fun with it. Oh and how about just a crazy patch pattern on the front or a D9P?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterlaurie View Post
Why not supply the kids with fabric crayons and muslin squares and "Birth" them together???
I love the idea that you are doing this. I thinks its wonderful. Of course I use to do the same thing--asked to do the impossible- but loved it. Thank You for doing it.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
FINALLY!!!!! A voice of reason!! Why all the negative and critical talk??? She just asked for ideas!!??!! Keeping it simple and letting the kids decorate them is a wonderful idea!! Have a talk with the principal and let her know they won't be done as nicely as yours but the moms will love them with their children's artistic talents shining forth. Bless you for taking it on! Kids love to get involved and be a part of something like this, even if they don't think so at first! Many a bad attitude has changed through knowing that someone cares about their input.

This reasoning is why every child gets a trophy when they don't do anything to earn it.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM

I think most everyone missed the fact that ideas for mug rugs, etc was requested. She was willing to do the project and was getting paid and fabric was being paid for. She just wants ideas for gifts. I second the idea of plain muslin squares cut with pinking shears and colored by the kids. Any crayon will do if set with a hot iron. I helped my grand daughters color some blocks and I made them into a quilt when they were pre K and the youngest is 16 now and still uses the quilt and the crayon pix are still good.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM

I, too, think it would be fast & easy to just do a plain color fabric on top & a patterned fabric on the bottom & just sew around 1/4 or 1/2 inch in & let it fray. Let the kids do the decorating on the plain fabric side. This side could be pastel colors & let the kids do what they want. Plus they could do a little clipping to make them fray more. If the tops were different pastel colors, the kids could pick the color they want after you put them together. You could even use flannel for the batting & would make a nicer fray.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

What I understood from your post, this is a project for you and the kids aren't suppose to mess it up with a lot of hands on participation and you want ideas what that participation could be. I would let the child pick a mug rug and pick one or two establishments to glue to it.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

I agree, the rest of the staff should be involved, especially the boss, so she or he will know what is involved in doing projects and not be so anxious to have others do it all.