Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 30-Sept 1, 2019 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 30-Sept 1, 2019

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Aug 30-Sept 1, 2019

Old 08-31-2019, 03:44 PM

Karamarie - hope the healing goes well for you.

All this talk of grandkids - I am a bit jealous. My kids are in mid to late 30's and it's very unlikely I'll have any biological grandkids. I'd be happy to get some step ones at some point - but DS isn't even looking for a relationship. DD is engaged but due to reasons I fully support, they already took permanent measures so they won't have any kids.

I already have about 20 grand nieces and nephews, just don't have any within 350 miles of me.

I do enjoy getting to share in all the grandbaby posts on this board though.

Got my "watercolor candi quilt" together. It is 80x80, 1600 squares. Now on to the next project.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:36 PM

We are moving so fast tackling the basement that there is even a chance I get to sew on Tues! We've moved the treadle; I've cleared out all my stuff (DH has lots to do since he's a bit of a hoarder)in the basement--a pick up load of stuff for the thrift shop on Tues, another pick up load of pure trash for the dump, an SUV load of the formerly important papers to the local workshop for developmentally disabled to shred; an several boxes to go to kids. So I get to "play" in my sewing room after church tomorrow--actually will be packing up DD stuff from the closet and moving bookshelf, etc to give me a wall for design wall--I'm kind of excited. Loving all the projects I'm seeing!
Old 08-31-2019, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Teen, I looked up some videos on the Apliquick method. I think I can do it! I've had a roll of freezer paper for a while now, and really never understood how to use it.

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Sewbiz, the bunny is so cute—though he really oughta pull himself together!

My 17 year old has a desire to be a good dad someday, although he hasn’t specified a number.
LOL, the bunny will pull himself together!

Your 17yo can practice his 'dad' skills by being an awesome uncle. My older two (parents of the grandbabies) called my youngest son "Funcle"... Fun Uncle. He is a great uncle and loves his little nieces.

Originally Posted by geevee View Post

Got the blocks done and trimmed, a couple seams needs a resew as a few of the white squares are slightly wonky, these are finishing at 2 3/4" each (which is why I tried the strip sets for the narrow pieces), but later, I'm famished and haven't even figured out what to eat yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616874[/ATTACH]
Geevee, the woven blocks are coming together so pretty! Can't wait to see the bag you make with them.

Iceblossom, the postcard quilt is very impressive! So much to look at. I love it that you have little built in private jokes in the blocks. Love the shadowbox setting too.

Karamarie, so sorry about the fracture diagnosis. Seems like so many friends are falling recently. Hope you recover well and can get the cast off soon.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

Got my "watercolor candi quilt" together. It is 80x80, 1600 squares. Now on to the next project.

This is an amazing work! I would be so intimidated trying to keep all that organized. It looks like a bargello. So gorgeous!

Everyone is making great progress on their projects.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I got this Bricks and Stones top finished. I made a throw quilt, and I accidentally made so many blocks that I have nearly enough to make a second one. So, just 17 more blocks and I can do that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]616878[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_5544.jpg  
Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Karamarie- so sorry to hear this!! Bummer.
Macy- that is awesome!!!
SBG- great finish! I love it. Oh- those bunny parts are adorable! Can't wait to see him/her finished.
geevee- lovely!!!
Iceblossom- Wowsers!

What a fun weekend seeing everyone's stuff and talking about babies! If I left anyone out I looked at and enjoyed seeing your projects!
Old 08-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Teen- I keep forgetting to tell you that your "My Favorite Things" quilt inspired me to start one of my own. I've only done a few blocks but I'm liking it a lot. I just got a Beatles photo transfer that I will put somewhere. I have no idea how it will turn out but I had to include the Beatles and the New York Yankees logo or else it wouldn't define me
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM

So much creativity going on here!!! Wow!

Sewbizgirl, I love your Bricks and Stones. The red adds the perfect pop, more than the traditional black.

Macybaby, is the water color quilt truly made from 2.5" charms?? That's impressive!

Teen, I love your Lori Holt flowers! Her designs are so pretty, I've always wanted to join in one of her sew alongs.

Geevee, cheery basket weave pattern!

Iceblossom, beautiful postcard quilt. I could look at it for hours!

Zozee, that's a perfect pattern for a jelly roll. Isn't it a MSQC pattern?

Karamarie, sorry about your fall! Ouch!!!

I love the knitting being shared too! And all the grandbaby chatter!

I haven't been as productive as most of you, but I did finish all my sashing strips, just need to sub-cut them to 12.5" now.

We spent most of the morning in town doing the weeks grocery shopping, then I cleaned the house and all the gazzion toys that are always on the floors with the toy boxes empty! I know "they" say one day you will miss the mess once the home is an empty nest, but that's hard to imagine right now! Imagine missing stepping on lego bare foot --- I don't know about that.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 PM

My husband took our daughter out of the house for half the day so I could play with quilting. I almost got the borders sewn on my top before they got home. I finished them and am able to share the photo here. I started to work on my placemats to finish the quilting and had too many distractions so my sewing is done for the day. It was certainly nice to be able to work for so long uninterrupted.
Attached Thumbnails 53e0e249-953e-4ab1-a8a4-0c288397933a.jpeg  
Old 08-31-2019, 08:21 PM

Michele—that’s gorgeous! What’s yhe pattern? I love your colors! And happy you had playtime to yourself.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 PM

Thank you, zozee! It’s called Milky Way Star. I saw it on an episode of the Midnight Quilt Show. The fabrics are Twilight Tones by Nancy Rink but I can’t remember the manufacturer off the top of my head.

Edited to add: Twilight tones plus neutrals from my stash, that is.