Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The OP's vent was posted over 3 years ago! I suspect she's long over it by now, don't you think?
Had to laugh when i realized what you meant. But this is a good topic for discussion. I was wonder where the lady who went to lancaster lqs was able to find $4 $5 yard fabric. Not realizing it was 3 years ago.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The OP's vent was posted over 3 years ago! I suspect she's long over it by now, don't you think?
Lol I was thinking the same thing. Obviously it's a sore topic with many quilters.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM

a personally made quilt is ART!! How you pick the fabrics and put them together takes talent. Not every one can make a really beautiful( to most everyone) quilt. don't sell yourself short!! Think of all the famos museums that show what were everyday quilts way back when. There are now museums that show ONLY quilts. and most of them are not the storebought kind. They were made by everyday people to keep their loved ones warm.
and I agree you don't charge anywhere near enough for a stranger to have a labor of love. or even contentment.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Good posts here! I am a newbie trying to learn quilting, but I used to make dolls. Years before I began making them, I would see them at a craft sale and think how expensive they were. It didn't take me very long to see why the prices were so "high". In fact, they weren't high enough for the materials, labor, time and love it took to make each one. In the years that followed, after things from China began flooding our stores, people seem to have traded "homemade" and "made in the USA" for the very cheap knock-off's from 5 year old laborers. Quality became unimportant. Cheap became all important. Sad, but true. I don't think I would ever sell a quilt. I will give them away to loved ones, and to charity.........but would never sell one for the bargain basement prices people seem willing to pay these days.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 AM

People who dont quilt have no idea what is involved the same way we dont have any idea what is involved in building an airplane. People need to see what they are paying for, give them a list detailing the cost etc, might help.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 AM

I think you're doing it to cheap, I quoted a man a tee shirt quilt somewhere in the neighborhood of $500
I'm going to make a scrappy crayron box quilt king size and I'm going to charge $500 both these two people thought that was reasonable. The tee shirt man said he has looked and looked for someone to make this. They live in Alalbama and I'm in Mississippi hope this gets more business
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

My DD has a lot of my quilts but she will buy a quilt from Target or other stores. They are tossed in her car, on the floor where ever, until it starts fade and tear and then buys another one. She says she gets a new quilt cheap and doesn't worry about it like she does the ones I made.