Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate? >

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
At Christmas dinner ther was a beautiful jello mold on the table at my MILs. I helped myself to a large scoop only to be horrified! It was red cherry jello with beet cubes, the seeds they put in rye bread (I don't know the name of them) and horseradish floating all through it!
EWWWW!!!!!!!! OMG how awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! Why oh why would you do that to perfectly sweet Jell-O???? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
:lol:
I agree, just the thought YUK :shock:
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by mswordwiz
I refuse to eat anything that was used as a filtration or digestive organ in another creature..
Just some food for thought............ sausage casing is made from intestines, :shock: :shock: :shock: do you eat sausage????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks... I used to like sausage... :(
Old 06-24-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Oh man, I don't even know what some of the things listed are. Some of them never should have been served to start with. The one that really gets me is the raw tomatoes. I can't imagine not liking tomatoes, especially at this time of the year when they are homegrown and fresh. Yum yum.

Liver - I like liver about every six months. I only eat it when we go to a cafeteria. My sister hates it. Even though we are hundreds of miles apart, whenever I eat it, I always send her an email and tell you about it. I can picture in my mind that she is gagging just from reading it.
KathyAire! You are BAD! Onery and bad and funny!!!

:D :D :-D :D
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Originally Posted by rehrensberger
Originally Posted by Teacup
Scrapple. I like to try regional specialties when we travel, but the taste of this was one I didn't like and I couldn't get the taste out of mouth.
If you fry the scrapple then put maple syrup on it. Very good!
What exactly is scrapple?
It's a specialty of the Pennsylvania Dutch and is found in the mid-Atlantic states. I had it on the Virginia coast. I thought it had a distinct liver-like flavor. According to Wickipedia, "Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added.The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste."

It sounds kind of like haggis from Scotland, which has organ meat scraps mixed with oatmeal, onion and seasoning and boiled in a sheep's stomach. A friend said haggis is foul. I've never had it, never want to try it.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Originally Posted by rehrensberger
Scrapple. I like to try regional specialties when we travel, but the taste of this was one I didn't like and I couldn't get the taste out of mouth.
If you fry the scrapple then put maple syrup on it. Very good!
What exactly is scrapple?
It's a specialty of the Pennsylvania Dutch and is found in the mid-Atlantic states. I had it on the Virginia coast. I thought it had a distinct liver-like flavor. According to Wickipedia, "Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added.The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste."

It sounds kind of like haggis from Scotland, which has organ meat scraps mixed with oatmeal, onion and seasoning and boiled in a sheep's stomach. A friend said haggis is foul. I've never had it, never want to try it.
A proper haggis includes lungs along with heart, kidneys, and other organ meats, combined with good scottish oatmeal...all "stitched" into the sheep's stomach and steamed. It is a grand affair...open it up and pour in scotch. Well, I pass folks...Sorry, I'll do the dancin and sech...but no haggis for me...USA all the way...

:roll: :roll:
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 PM

eeewwwww, (shudder) hagis....

Im a bit of a fussy eater....I dont eat Pork, or Lamb cannot stand the taste or the smell, makes me gag. The only veggie I dont eat is snowpeas, yuk! LOVE brussel sprouts tho, they are my favorite.

The thing that makes me gag most of all....Risotto. I heve never in my life eaten anything so discusting it made me physically sick.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by tweetee
eeewwwww, (shudder) hagis....

Im a bit of a fussy eater....I dont eat Pork, or Lamb cannot stand the taste or the smell, makes me gag. The only veggie I dont eat is snowpeas, yuk! LOVE brussel sprouts tho, they are my favorite.

The thing that makes me gag most of all....Risotto. I heve never in my life eaten anything so discusting it made me physically sick.
Yea!!! Brussel sprouts...big fan too. Hubby looks at them with distain. Seldom make them, since he hates even the scent when I cook them. Honestly, they do make the house smell a bit fowl. I try to just barely cook them...still crunchy, but the sulphur odor still exudes... You should visit from overseas...and I'll make us some lovely fresh sprouts!
:wink:
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM

I love buffalo...any other fans? So clean tasting, no fat to speak of...most lean I've found...and zero growth hormones, etc. Native American peoples knew what they were doing by choosing this meat. Healthy stuff.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 AM

Some cookie some kid made for our Spanish class discussion... this was way back in '03. It was so bad that I ended up in the washroom with in 5 minutes... and then I was sent home.

OH! And that piece of cheese I ate the other day... It looked and smelled fine... the taste was very questionable though...
Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by varacefan
Gefilte Fish has to be the worst food I've eaten. I was on spring break with a friend in Florida and her grandparents were treating us to dinner.
Hubby calls it "sledgi"- Polish for the slimy stuff in a jar in my fridge. EWWWW! He can have it- but not in front of me. Looking at the jar turns my stomach.

Oh- when I was a kid I went into my Gram's fridge- saw this jar, wondered what it was, opened it, took a BIG whiff (for a kid) and almost keeled over. It was horseradish! I swear I had no nose hairs and my brain was opened up and permanently injured. My sinuses hurt too. Grandpa laughed at me.