Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate? >

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
As a child: Resonstituted asparagas soup. My mom MADE me eat it. I was stubborn, but when she reheated the soup for the third time, I decided that I would starve to death before she would give in. I ate.....and then she had to mop the floor.

As an adult: I am not sure what it was (could have been morels ??) It was a brown, gritty, lumpy thing and it was certainly not what I thought I had ordered (we were in France). I drank the entire bottle of wine and never managed to eat the food. Most expensive meal I never had. lol
Are you sure it wasn't snails? Morels are mushrooms and shouldn't be gritty. They're wonderful. They grow wild around here if you're lucking enough to find them.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm very picky- and I still don't like my food to touch. (My coworkers told me I wouldn't like what my stomach looked like- I told them stomach has sections- it doesn't like the food to touch either).

I wouldn't try the majority of the things you've mentioned so here's mine- I don't like peanut butter, hot dogs and ice cream.

I do like scrapple- although hubby calls it shrapnel. I fry it in some butter until crispy on the outside. I only have it once in a while.

There are many other things I don't like- it's usually a texture thing. I especially don't like pizza that has cheese that sticks to your teeth. EWWWW!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
There is Asian fruit that smells like rotten onions and taste like it to. I get the shivers just thinking about it.
Durian? I've smelled it but not tasted it. It is the specialty on the island my daughter lives on. They say it is like eating ice cream in an out house. Tastes great but smells terrible. I can only tell you what I was told because I wasn't brave enough to try it.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Probably pickled pigs feet or saurkraut or liver or any organs (all of which my parents force-fed me). Calimari, which a co-worker talked me into - it was like chewy rubber bands. Gag! Another co-worker talked me into trying tripe. Worse gag!

Oh wait, one more - vegimite. I know it's supposed to be an Aussie favorite, but it looked, smelled, and tasted like it was something from the bottom of a garbage disposal. Eeww!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Limburger cheese and blue cheese, yuck. And I think beets taste like dirt! LOL
Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Was going to be traveling to Cambodia, first trip out of the USA, and VERY nervous...so tried to PSYCH myself for whatever might be ahead. I actually ordered an eel dish, before I left home. Euch!!!!! Horrible! Zillions of tiny bones, nasty fowl stuff. Ordered goat too, in preparation - and it actually was not too bad! Guess what else, NOTHING but veggies and chicken were ever served to me in Cambodia...so all that self-abuse was totally unnecessary! ; - D
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by amma
It would be eel for me... The strongest tasting fish I have ever tasted YUCK!!!!

AH-MAIN!!! Don't dig the shimp or pork either for that matter.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by StitchnFind
Pea soup! my mom use to make this a long time ago and i remember betting my sister who's fork could stand up in it the longest. wow that was bad bad bad. haha

I always felt that way too....till....believe it or not...at table, someone added a tablespoon or two of sherry (per serving) and it became an entirely new creation. I do NOT know what caused the transformation...but it did become edible then.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Liver for me too. Also, DH's aunt once served us cow heel soup. It must have been the greasiest food I ever tasted, but I had to gag it down.

In France with my 1st husband (not a D H) I was being adventurous and ordered something called Andouillettes (sp?), omg it looked like sausage but was so disgusting, I think it was made out of tripe. He offered to trade with me because he didn't mind it but he had ordered sheeps brains!!!! Let's just say I ordered and enjoyed my dessert!

I just remembered, in Grenada, where I lived for 2 years, they eat something called Manicou. I think it is some kind of possum but it looked like a rat to me. One very tiny taste (the size of a pea) was enough. (shudder)
Old 06-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Gefilte Fish has to be the worst food I've eaten. I was on spring break with a friend in Florida and her grandparents were treating us to dinner.