Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate? >

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by EllaBud
What is the WORST thing you've EVER ate? And it has to be edible!

I'll go first....kolrabi. My mother made it years ago and I can still remember the taste and that it was foul (at least for me).
Love kolrabi - even raw, thinly sliced, lightly salted, YUM. I also love turnips and rutabagas (all in the same family).
Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
okra YUK
I agree - it was so slimy! How can anyone eat that stuff?

I even had it crispy deep-fried - had a wierd taste. No thanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdollar
Blood Pudding! It wasn't really nasty tasting or anything. I just didn't know what it was at the time. I thought it was patty sausage and found out later it was fried blood with spices that made it taste just like sausage. It's just the thought! I don't like liver either!
Just love blood pudding - ever since I as a kid. Hard to find nowadays.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
Truly the most awful thing I have ever tasted are snails. Really...and I will eat almost anything.
Kirsten
Snails are so good - especially with good crusty french bread to soak up all the lovely garlicky sauce. YUM
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup
Scrapple. I like to try regional specialties when we travel, but the taste of this was one I didn't like and I couldn't get the taste out of mouth.
That's too bad. Scrapple is usually pretty good. I guess it depends on what pork cuts are put in it and how they were prepared. Did you ever try fried mush? It's made of cornmeal like scrapple, but doesn't have any meat or spices in it. It's sliced, fried crisp and eaten with maple syrup like pancakes. it's really good.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
This is so funny to read. I have to admit that when I was small we lived on a farm and raised our own beef. It was always hand fed grain and so was very good. My mom cooked almost everything, and she was a great cook. I was raised on brains, sweatbread, heart, liver, tongue, oxtail soup and even Rocky Mountain oysters. These were all very good. Noone told us they were supposed to be bad, so we like them. My uncle was even a professional butcher, so we knew how how our steers were raised and butchered. I wouldn't eat these items from a grocery store now. It makes a difference how they are raised. My dad died when I was a teenager and my mom remarried when I was a senior. The thought of eating a lamb really grossed me out, but I discovered there is also a difference in the lamb that you buy. My mom's new husband raised sheep and she learned to cook lamb. It was much different than what you buy in the grocery store. Much of that may be labeled lamb, but is most likely not the young lambs.

I had to laugh when when we were little because my Grandmother convinced my Mom to cook the kidneys. Mom put them on the stove and started boiling them. It didn't last long, as soon as they began to smell, she picked up pan and all and threw them out the back door. She never tried to cook the kidneys again.

Thanks for the memories. My parents are gone now, and it is good to bring up the memories of when we were really little.
I grew up eating all those things, too (except for kidney), and still love them. But I didn't live on a farm - we lived in Pittsburgh! There were lots of european immigrants in Pittsburgh and all of their national foods were available and easy to get. We also had roasted suckling pig and a special treat was the tail and the ears and skin - so crispy and salty and good - like bacon, only 100% better! Grandma used to put chicken feet in her chicken soup and as kids, we didn't know you weren't supposed to like that stuff.

Pittsburgh is still a very ethnic place, but it's hard if not impossible to find most of those foods any more in the stores.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Now I want pig tails and ears! Better than bacon? I'm there! I saw chicken feet in my Asian grocery and they looked so odd. A big pile of them. Don't they thicken soups with their natural gelatin? I'm getting some next time: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how..._chicken_feet/
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
Now I want pig tails and ears! Better than bacon? I'm there! I saw chicken feet in my Asian grocery and they looked so odd. A big pile of them. Don't they thicken soups with their natural gelatin? I'm getting some next time: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how..._chicken_feet/
I'm glad they are available for you. I don't have an Asian store near me, so I can't get them.

Yes, they will thicken the soup - not really thick, it will just have a wonderful body and won't be "watery". I checked out the website, too. Looks like a good one - their stock recipes sound right on. Thanks for the link.

Enjoy your chicken feet soup!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Liver and rutebegas (sp?)
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM

A missionary was visiting my Grandparents home...they too were missionaries.

They fixed us a dinner like they were served in Asia.
We were forbidden to make faces, spit it out, leave it uneaten, throw up, make sounds like it was un-pleasant, etc.

Fish Eye Soup with Sea Weed...and sushi on the side.
Out of 9 grandchildren seated at the table, I was the only one who "would have been allowed to live" had it been a real missionary being served for the first time in the village they lived in.

As a young child, I decided right then to devote ALL my candy allowance to this mission. If they were so poor they had to eat the eyes and head of the fish, and weeds from the water, they needed my money more than I needed a treat! LOL

It never dawned on me that this was a special dish prepared for honored guests.