Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Wow! Some amazing stories and enduring marriages among those posted here. In a few weeks, My best friend and I will be celebrating 32 years as husband and wife and I'm finding it hard to believe time has gone so quickly.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

We celebrated our 19th anniversary last May. The minister who married us talked to us ahead of the wedding about choice and intention. And that if we went into the marriage with the intention that 'we would give this a try and see how it worked' that it wouldn't last ten years; but if we went in with the intention that 'we would last forever' that we would make it 'to death do us part'. The other thing he talked to us about was choice. When you marry you are making a choice. And each day of your marriage is a choice. You can choose each other every day, or you can choose something else. Choosing each other is the only way it works.

It hasn't all been honeymoon, but to this day I wake up every morning knowing that I would choose him all over again. Even during the really rough spots, we actively chose each other, every day. Our choosing, plus our intention keeps the spark alive and our kids telling us to 'get a room' LOL

Besides, we each think that we are the lucky one!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by sherrill
MY husband and I were ages 16 and 17 when we married,My Dad was thinking my husband would not amount to much.He worked many jobs and monnlighted to get what we needed like food and other essentials.We were married 57 years in June.My husband passed the first of this month.We knew many couples in our area that celebrated 60 years or more.
I miss him so much but many happy times together.
I can't begin to imagine your pain...sending you hugs and prayers for strength and healing. Blessings.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:28 AM

This Saturday I'm going to a party to celebrate my Aunt Gwen & Uncle Rich's 60 year anniversary!
Congratulations to you all who have stuck together! :D
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by litacats
My DH & I have been married for 46 years come December.
we went into marriage without any thought of if it didn't work we would call it quits. we went into marriage for life, We have had our ups and downs, differing opinions on things from time to time. we were told it wont last more than 6 months and after 32 years of marriage my "DMIL" was still trying to break us up. we found the best things were.
1) communication
2) never go to bed angry.
3) we have done nearly everything together.
4) think of marriage as a rope 1 thread makes a very weak rope (thinking only of self). 2 strands make it a bit stronger(thinking of each other and each others feelings). & 3 strands make a very strong rope. (adding God and his principles into your marriage).
Following these 4 steps will make a marriage strong enough to survive anything life can throw at you.
I really like your points. My husband and I are married a little over 4 years and we many times wonder how couples can make it without the Lord in the marriage. We went into marriage with divorce not an option and taking the Lord as our goal. How wonderful this makes a married life. I so agree that self has to go in married life. Think of the other person and just realize that such a sweet marriage as we have it is not worth to be upset or offended at each other. Let's turn to the Lord and say sorry and forgive each other.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM

I have been married to a wonderful man for 57 years. ( since I was 20).
I realize that young people don't see a lot of long-term marriages these days, so we are pleased to announce our years to young couples who are trying to make it work.
I say marriage is like going into business with someone. One must realize that it's not just the romance. My husband says one must learn to think "we, us & ours" instead of always "me, my & I." it means sharing, compromising and continuing to do interesting things together. You must enjoy each other's company. Laugh it off, sometimes!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:20 AM

I would never have thought in a million years that I would have been divorced after 21 years, but the pain of that will always affect my children, even though they asked me to take them away from their father. I am so very happily married again, and we are like newlyweds after 7 years. We asked God first. What a difference! It sure helps to start right and for the right reasons.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by hilda Vest
I have been married to a wonderful man for 57 years. ( since I was 20).
I realize that young people don't see a lot of long-term marriages these days, so we are pleased to announce our years to young couples who are trying to make it work.
I say marriage is like going into business with someone. One must realize that it's not just the romance. My husband says one must learn to think "we, us & ours" instead of always "me, my & I." it means sharing, compromising and continuing to do interesting things together. You must enjoy each other's company. Laugh it off, sometimes!!
That's right Hilda, Young people should look at it that way. My husband and I have also been married 57 years.He was 20 and I was 15. You have to work at it every day but it's worth it. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM

I was married at 21 and that marriage lasted 10 years. In retrospect, we could have worked a lot harder and been a lot more mature. We didn't have good role models, examples, but that is no excuse. After being divorced 6 years I met my current husband. Our marriage (23 yrs. now) is totally different from my first. We see eye to eye on all the important things in life, so seldom argue. I love him more each day and appreciate the things he does to make life comfortable for us and our families. I never knew what older people meant when they said they loved each other more each day, now I do. I would be so lost without him and my heart goes out to the ladies who have lost their husbands after a good marriage. Blessings.

BTW, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you for starting it!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sherrill
MY husband and I were ages 16 and 17 when we married,My Dad was thinking my husband would not amount to much.He worked many jobs and monnlighted to get what we needed like food and other essentials.We were married 57 years in June.My husband passed the first of this month.We knew many couples in our area that celebrated 60 years or more.
I miss him so much but many happy times together.
I'm so sorry about your great loss. I'll be praying for you for God's comfort.