Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jo Anne's closing >

Jo Anne's closing

Jo Anne's closing

Old 09-27-2010, 07:14 AM

I have never found JoAnne's to have steller fabric. I think that buying online at eQuilter.com is really the best. I have never been disappointed by their fabric and they have EXCELLENT help if you call them for related fabrics. GBrowne
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
WalMart phased out fabric, now JoAnne's in the area is closing the doors! Saying they are loosing their lease and maybe will relocate. This only leaves a Hancocks, Hoby Lobby and a Quilt Shop for the entire Katy area of Texas. I will be buying more on line!
This happened to me too. I now have to go about 30 miles to Joann's or Hobby Lobby. That is all I have now other then Quilting shops that are even farther away. NOT happy I want my Joann's back.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Alondra
Jackie, where did you teach in West Houston? I taught at Lee HS and later long-term subbed at Paul Revere. How do you like Roswell?
I taught in the Cy-Fair School District for 20 years. I started at Watkins Middle School (2 yrs)l and 18 years at Labay Middle School, both just off Hwy 6 S. I taught 8th grade science and loved it. I grew up in Roswell and when my mother became very ill I retired from teaching and moved back to Roswell. Given a choice I would prefer to live elsewhere but having so many wonderful quilting friends here makes it OK. Another good thing about Roswell is the low humidity which makes the summers bearable and we do have 4 seasons. Miss the choice of shopping available in a big city, we have to go to Albuquerque or Lubbock (approx 3 hr drive) for any major shopping. Don't know why that seems so bad, I would often spend as long as 2 hours driving for shopping in Houston and think nothing of it. :)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM

JoAnn's in Grand Junction, Colorado closed its doors when their lease was going up and they didn't want to pay it, so rather than relocate they just called it quits. Shame, I really liked that store.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM

I would like to thank everyone for giving the information about online shopping. I have looked at several of these sites, but always a little nervous about ordering. It's nice to know which ones are good! :-D
Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM

I like hearing about on line sites ppl have bought from.One not mentioned yet is equilters.com.Their prices are same as LQS, but they have good sales & are nice ppl to deal with.I've bought from their sales 3 times.You can sign up to get sale alerts.They have a huge selection of fabrics & shipping is about standard USPS.

Originally Posted by PKWard
I would like to thank everyone for giving the information about online shopping. I have looked at several of these sites, but always a little nervous about ordering. It's nice to know which ones are good! :-D
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Well, I live in So.Cal and can't get away from JoAnns. We are blessed with quite a few quilt shop, but all the other fabric stores have left the area. My daughter is looking for a decortive belt buckel for a dress and JoAnns doesn't have any. This is not something that quilt shop carry and online will cost too much for shipping. We can drive to L.A. but the is at least an hour away and parking is hard to find or expensive.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I like to buy my fabric from connection thread on line i love there fabric.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM

i heard the local quilt shop owner telling someone they are going to carry less fabric and more accessories and notions. he said that is the trend right now. i guess we'll be looking on line more and more.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Yep, that's Houston for you... drive, drive, drive. I keep moving west, and now I'm in Katy. I guess I'll be in Fulshear next, or Hallettsville. But even they aren't entirely rural anymore!