Kindle, Nook,E-Book

Old 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Melody
I have been considering a Kindle and I'm happy to find this conversation going on! Everyone says the battery lasts a long time, which is certainly a great selling point. What actually comes with the Kindle? Does a charger come with it? And do you have buy a car charger?
Melody
I'm in Ireland, so it may be different in the US, but I got a lead that plugs into the bottom of the kindle (mini usb) the other end has a full sized usb that goes into my netbook and I can charge it that way. That end also goes into a plug with two flat pins in it that I assume would go into US household wall sockets? That is no good to me as we have three pin plugs here, so I found one of those on ebay that I have ordered, so I don't have to use my netbook to charge up the kindle.

Now, next thing is to make myself a quilted case for it.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 AM

Oh, I forgot to ask.... I was on Amazon to see what are some of the Kindle books that are available, and I see that there is a place that says "Free collections of pre 1923" then there is a long how-to list of info to hook up the USB to your computer and download the book into your computer and then sync it to your Kindle. Gosh, this doesn't sound like a 60 second wireless download!! Or is that only for the free books??
Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 AM

Power adapter & US cable is included. Read here for all details....scroll down about 1/2 way to see what comes with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...pf_rd_i=507846

I have been considering a Kindle and I'm happy to find this conversation going on! Everyone says the battery lasts a long time, which is certainly a great selling point. What actually comes with the Kindle? Does a charger come with it? And do you have buy a car charger?
Melody
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM

thanks.

Melody
Old 10-02-2010, 01:27 PM

You're welcome. I've been looking at them a long time.
thanks.

Melody
Old 10-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I forgot to ask.... I was on Amazon to see what are some of the Kindle books that are available, and I see that there is a place that says "Free collections of pre 1923" then there is a long how-to list of info to hook up the USB to your computer and download the book into your computer and then sync it to your Kindle. Gosh, this doesn't sound like a 60 second wireless download!! Or is that only for the free books??
There are two ways of getting the free books. The free way is to download to puter, then it transfers wifi to kindle (and it doesn't take any longer than 60secs). The whispernet way has a charge on it, though the book itself is free.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM

I downloaded Kindle for Mac.....& it's amazing how fast it works. If I want a book from Amazon,I just click 2 buttons & boom! there it is, ready to read.Haven't read that many,but it's sure a cool process.

Originally Posted by Lacelady
There are two ways of getting the free books. The free way is to download to puter, then it transfers wifi to kindle (and it doesn't take any longer than 60secs). The whispernet way has a charge on it, though the book itself is free.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:04 PM

That's very interesting.... free if downloaded to the 'puter and takes extra time to do it. And "whispernet" is the fast but not free way to do it. I had thought it was free to download to a Kindle and bypass the 'puter. Darn. So what is the cost of the whispernet download? Almost nothing I hope?
Melody
Old 10-02-2010, 02:16 PM

I have considered getting the Nook, as I get most of my books from Barnes & Noble anyway. However, I've discovered that many of the ones I want are available as downloads to my laptop, which of course has a much larger screen. And I just bought a new book the other day that had a CD included with what I think is ALL of that particular (very prolific) author's books in e-book format. Not bad for just the price of a newly released hardback. I can also go to that publisher's website and get free downloads of one or more books by any of the participating authors they publish.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 AM

I bought my husband a kindle

haven't seen or heard from him since.....well until he wanted to purchase a book from his favorite author

:lol: :lol: