Kindle, Nook,E-Book

Old 09-30-2010, 02:34 AM

Kindle and Nook both...you purchase and download books via wi-fi or 3G network (like what a cell phone uses). You can actually go in to Barnes and Noble and do it with a Nook...or do it from home or anyplace where there is a wifi network available. You don't have to 'plug' it in, or anything...it just comes through the 'air'. Brand-new novels will cost you about $13....prices drop from there. You will use a credit card to purchase. I know Barnes and Noble also have alot of free books (generally older). If you have not already done it, why don't you google both kindle and Nook? There are explanations for both as to how the whole process works.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Whew...all these gadgets....and I'm in love with them all..whats a girl to do but ask Santa for 1 of each! :lol: :lol:..Just kidding, but I might ask for an iPod Touch AND a Kindle...would I need both?
I read on my iPod all the time. I have Kindle, Stanza, and Apple's iBooks apps all installed so I can get books from any of them depending who has what I want. I have loads of free classics in Stanza from Project Guttenberg and just carry a spare 3G Juice battery with me when I travel. I love that I can pick it up to read during the night without disturbing dh! I do keep it set to white text on black background though, probably because I find it easiest to read.

You may not like reading on the small screen though, in which case you could want both!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Cuilteanna...I wondered about that...I guess I could always get the Touch 1st, then just see. I don't think the small screen would bother me since some of the paperback books are small too...right??
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 AM

I got a Kindle about 6 months ago, and couldn't do without it. My husband got on line and read comments from other owners. They tell the truth. Most of the comments were very positive...that's the way we decided on the Kindle. I was not a prolific reader before, but now would not go anywhere with my Kindle and read all the time...probably should be quilting instead of reading.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks Cuilteanna...I wondered about that...I guess I could always get the Touch 1st, then just see. I don't think the small screen would bother me since some of the paperback books are small too...right??
You can set the text size to whatever is comfortable for you, it would just have fewer paragraphs on a page! I'm very nearsighted so I set mine smaller and take my glasses off to read. I'd agree, try the free books on the touch then see if you still want the Kindle device.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM

I got a Kindle a few days ago and love it! It has a red leather cover and a built in light and I it is wonderful to be able to order books and be ready to read in a couple of minutes. There are alot of free books on Amazon and the prices for other books are very reasonable, I think. To be able to browse the website to order books without being hooked up to a computer is great, especially since we travel alot. I also like the larger print.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rubyrednails2
I got a Kindle a few days ago and love it! It has a red leather cover and a built in light and I it is wonderful to be able to order books and be ready to read in a couple of minutes. There are alot of free books on Amazon and the prices for other books are very reasonable, I think. To be able to browse the website to order books without being hooked up to a computer is great, especially since we travel alot. I also like the larger print.
I just got mine today! (no cover and light yet, that might be for Christmas) Can you tell me - is there a way to turn it off? I can only seem to get it to go to a sort of screensaver picture, which must still be using battery power. I also seem to have one faulty page turning thingy. The top on on the right side won't make the page go back, but it does on the left side. Both sides will work to make it turn forward to the next page. I've only had it a few hours, and done really want to return it yet.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Go into Amazon.com and download the user manual for your Kindle. I did this and it helped a great deal. I could figure out how to turn it on or off, but my switch is on the top. It turns it on and off. Just a suggestion, but like I said, it really helped me.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM

Turn the Kindle off by pushing the switch on the top of the reader to the right and holding it for about 4 seconds. It will then go off. I hardly ever turn my off though...just let it go into sleep mode. The battery still lasts over a week without a charge and I use it every day for at least two hours.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grandmama Pat
Go into Amazon.com and download the user manual for your Kindle. I did this and it helped a great deal. I could figure out how to turn it on or off, but my switch is on the top. It turns it on and off. Just a suggestion, but like I said, it really helped me.
I'm going to look for a manual - I don't have a switch at the top, just a sliding one at the bottom. It's a version 3 so perhaps thats different.