Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows..... >

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Where Are All the Pieced Quilts at Shows.....

Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

All of the local quilt guild shows in New England that I've been to are filled with pieced quilts
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM

I have seen the entrance guidelines for the shows, because so many of my friends entered, and one won a prize. I'm actually friends with the organizers of one of the shows, so I know what I'm talking about. We've discussed it many times. Even at a show that size, I think it's appropriate to split categories whenever possible.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by Mattee
Because at the few shows I have been to (three separate shows), there were no separate categories. There was only ONE first prize, second, etc. Everyone was judged as one group. There were probably (I'm estimating) 50 or more quilts at each, all judged together. At the last one I went to, there were only a half dozen hand-quilted quilts, but I felt that they should have been given their own category. There were certainly enough to at least give out a first and second place ribbon.

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I don't understand why everybody seems to think all quilts are judged in the same category?
Or maybe they were judged separately in their own catagory and then the top quilts from each category were judged together for the top prizes. Unless you saw the entrance guidlines and saw the judging you can't say how they were entered or judged, only how the prizes were awarded.

A 50 quilt show is a fairly small quilt show. Even the one put on by the guild where I used to live in a town of less than 30,000 had almost four hundred quilts in their show.

The county fair here had 90 quilts entered.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:26 AM

I think that there is a place for all quilt types traditional, art, hand quilting, machine quilting, etc in the shows. Our guild just had their show and everything was judged in seperate categories and then hung up, art quilts mixed in with traditional. Since we are not a large guild I would think that is probably the way most/quite a few do them. Then it would depend on the quilter which category they are entering their quilt in. I believe Quilers appreciate all quilt forms after all we are all artists.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 AM

I really prefer the handmade ones. There is just something special about taking the time to do it the old fashioned way instead of trying to produce an abundance of quilts to satisfy the need to make more and more. Sounds like the American way though.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I'm noticing that alot of the quilts are machine quilted now. I'm a traditionalist, i hand quilt, nothings wrong with machine quilting, but i think that in it's owne right, there should be seperate catagories. A lot of wor goes into machine/hand quilting, both different types of looks, and both need to be addressed seperately.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 PM

I am a machine quilter. I would like to perhaps have one project a year that is done by hand; however, there are many people I want to give quilted projects to, and hand quilting makes this impossible. I sew for homeless shelters and battered women's shelters, and make items for seniors.

Say what you may about machine quilting, a lot more people are blessed . . .
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM

I love art quilts. I love the creativity and skill of the quilters'. But, I wouldn't want an art quilt on my bed.

I love pieced designs (and applique), traditional and new. Some of my all time favorite quilts are scrappy.

Thinking back to the local quilt shows I have been to in the last 3 years. Only 1 quilt I would classify as "art". So tradition is alive and well in this part of the world :)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM

I live in NW Ohio, way different than Ca, but went to the quilt show at Sauder's in the spring. I just looked that the photos I took, and most of the quilts there were pieced. This seems to be a very traditional area though
Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 PM

Most of the quilts I make are very traditional, although I do like the modern approach of machine piecing and quilting. I have admired art quilts, but as for making them it's just not my thing. Last year I was comissioned to make quilt...a contemporary quilt using dark colors, leopard print and featuring a large painted leopard in the center! I kind of inwardly groaned at the idea, but felt that I could do it. It came out very striking and became one of my favorites...go figure! I guess it never hurts to try something new!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by teresa crawford
i am finding so many ladies of our guild that want to learn how too hand quilt, but there isn't any one to teach us how..mother teresa
What a pity I might live a half world away from you teresa, I would love to teach you how to hand quilt.