Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I could cry right now. >
  • I could cry right now.

• I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:02 AM

i'm so so sorry
    Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 AM

I agree w/ laceybritt, it looks cozy and not the least bit distorted. Remember, we are our worse critics!
    Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 AM

I think just lightly mist it and press it. It doesn't look that bad from the pics. It just needs reblocking. IMHO
    Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 AM

By looking at your pictures, I would steam iron it. I don't think it is as bad as you think. It's a beautiful quilt. Love the fabrics.
    Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 AM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

To be perfectly honest with you, I purposely shrink all my quilts to make them look antiqued. I think it looks great!! It's a beautiful quilt.
    Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 AM

I had read all the posts and FEEL for you. That was a lot of work but perhaps there is something you can do. Sometimes I deliberately do not pre-shrink because I am going for an old-timey effect. Since we don't know exactly what batting you used, all you can do is try some of the suggestions listed. I would stretch a tarp or something plastic out flat, lay a clean sheet over that and then lay your quilt dampened again with cold water over that. Smooth it out as flat and even as you can and pin or weight it in essence blocking it) until dry. You should be able to square it up pretty much this way and what you would be left with is an old-timey looking quilt! It is all good and will be ok I am thinking.

Another thing you could try if you don't want to go to all the above is to lay out a thick blanket or something, cover it with a sheet, then your quilt and try lightly (very lightly using wool setting) steaming it and pressing lightly. This will flatten it some and allow you to smooth it out and block it into shape with your hands. Let it dry fully before trying to pick it up or move it around.

Best of wishes and Good Luck!
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 AM

I don't know if this would work to help or not. Could a couple of friends come and help you by stretching it over the ironing board while you iron it? I know when I am working on a quilt I stretch it over a large sheet of chip board that I covered and my sister and I stretch it and iron it. Maybe that would help? I am sorry this happened. IT might be worth a try.
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 AM

I'm thinking I would like to get that as a gift, as is. I wouldn't even say anything about the problems.

Buying batting without the packaging, one really doesn't know WHAT is in it. If it shrank that much, no doubt there was wool in it, might have all been wool.

Try to feel good about the project, it's lovely.
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 AM

I am so sorry this happened. I've had it happen to me too. But just as others have said, your MIL won't see anything at all wrong with the quilt. I would try ironing it, if that didn't work, wash it but don't dry it, reshape it on a flat surface and let it dry naturally. I think it is beautiful and know your MIL will love your gift.
    Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 AM

I agree with washing it again and re-blocking it gently of course while it is damp, then iron it when dries completely. I love the look of a wash quilt the small puckers make the quilt look older than it is.