Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 PM

My same sentiments.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by gale
$7.50 would be a very low estimate in my opinion. Plus, throw in health insurance and all those other benefits and it's far beyond that amount.
I used the $7.50/hr because I know that to be the minimum wage that is paid here in my area.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM

I think that if conditions continue as they are now, very soon America is soon going to become a "third world country" .These days, we have so little manufacturing of products, there is no way the economy will improve. I , also, want the work returned to our own soil. What's happened to the American work ethic? When I was a kid, I was taught if I wanted something, I'd have to work for it. Well, in general, my generation did work and just handed everything to our kids--they don't want to work unless they're making not less than twenty bucks an hour...therefore, now that they are in charge, they have sent all manufacturing overseas---now the day of reckoning is upon us. We need to return to the practice of providing for ourselves. The adage is that charity begins at home; what happens when all the charity disappears? ( for example..SSI checks, Medicaid, food stamps )
Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM

I think pride in your work, no matter how menial or how important has been replaced with a pride for money-the root of all evil. There is nothing wrong with having money (I kinda like having it!), but putting it before all things creates the problem. That's why I like everyone here-kindness is shown without needing to be "paid". You need a doctorate in economics and minor in history, to figure out all of the reasons for our country's money problems-I for one can't get everything settled or sorted mentally. I never could understand why we let sone of our biggest assets (mfg) slip away from us. Well, enough reflection for now....:)
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM

So Sad !
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM

This is very interesting. However, in California (as usual), in the San Jacquin area where cotton "was" grown, one of our Senators blocked water from the area because of a water shortage, so she says. This has forced farmers and ranchers to literally go out of business due to lack of water to their farms and ranches. I'm sure there has been a shortage of cotton, but when you pay attention to what politicians are doing and saying, you see how they are manipulating everything. I don't mean to make this political but it is!! Thanks for listening. No wonder Ca is in such big trouble.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:13 PM

I am so happy I just got back from WM and bought all or most[at least 4 yds] of 11 bolts of fall fabric for either $1.00 or $1.50 a yd. Am waiting for the few higher ones that are now down to 3.00 to go even lower and will get some of that If I catch it in time. My DH wanted me to get more but after getting a ton[actually 2 carts chuck full] at Hancocks Black Fri.[Good flannel for $1.49 and fleece for 1.99 and 2.99...reg prices were from 4.99 to 9.99 a yd.] I figure I better hold off for now. At least till the Christmas fabric goes down.Got lots last year for $1.00 and a lot for even .64 a yd. couldn't believe it . Made many quilted place mats,table runners, and napkins. Was so happy to have it stashed. I told him he better wrap some of it for Christmas so I wont feel so bad. I am a new quilter so I do simple ones but I always donate to charities so I like not paying full price if I can.
Sorry to bore everyone but I am so happy and also so thankful for a wonderful DH. I do feel bad for the folks that aren't able to get sale fabric. Also for the prices going up and going to China!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
This is very interesting. However, in California (as usual), in the San Jacquin area where cotton "was" grown, one of our Senators blocked water from the area because of a water shortage, so she says. This has forced farmers and ranchers to literally go out of business due to lack of water to their farms and ranches. I'm sure there has been a shortage of cotton, but when you pay attention to what politicians are doing and saying, you see how they are manipulating everything. I don't mean to make this political but it is!! Thanks for listening. No wonder Ca is in such big trouble.
I agree. Decisions are made about what looks good on paper, but it is the people that seem to be disreguarded.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I confess that the whole issue of prices and international trade boggles my mind. It reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant, where "all were partly in the right and all were in the wrong" because noone was able to grasp the whole picture.

My personal belief is that we're all in this together. It's when we forget that point, that it all starts to fall apart. What was the Golden Rule all about? We need to ask ourselves "What are my values?" and then make sure that our actions line up with that. If you have a bounty, share it; if you can buy it locally-grown or from a neighborhood store, do that; shop for a fair price but please understand that "fair" means that everyone along the line from farmer to factory worker to store clerk should be able to have food on their table and a roof over their head.

(Spoken from a Christian perspective but I think it's a concept that is common to other faiths as well.)
I am not religious, but that is my take on things also. It is the only approach that makes sense for society as a wh ole, imo.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Just had a terrible thought.... do they use cotton in printing money???[/quote]

[b]Oh yes, that is why you can put dollar bills in the laundry and they come out clean without tearing apart like tissue or paper.[b]