Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Does your cat pee on other things? This is a behavioral issue. Cats are very territorial. I had a spayed female who marked everything in the house, including my piano. She had to be banished from the house except for the family room. I had her for 21 years.

I hope you can get enough of the odor out that you can finish then wash the quilt. It looks like a beautiful quilt.

Cats will go back to the same place and repeat the act. So beware.

Cynthia
Old 12-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Your cat is gorgeous! Is it a Maine Coon or Norweigan Forest Cat?

Originally Posted by catlover
Does your cat pee on other things? This is a behavioral issue. Cats are very territorial. I had a spayed female who marked everything in the house, including my piano. She had to be banished from the house except for the family room. I had her for 21 years.

I hope you can get enough of the odor out that you can finish then wash the quilt. It looks like a beautiful quilt.

Cats will go back to the same place and repeat the act. So beware.

Cynthia
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM

My solution is to always have a dog! LOL Used to have a cat, but couldn't handle the litter box odor. She was my first and last cat. Sorry cat lovers! :-)
Old 12-23-2010, 10:25 AM

vschieve,

Are your referring to my cat avatar? That's Molly. she's 100% cat - persian I suppose. Rescue kitty. Loves to leave the "golden fleece" all over the house. But, I love her.

Cynthia
Old 12-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Maybe your kitty is "marking." Sometimes this behavior indicates a sympton of a urinary problem...your vet will know.

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
It appears to be just one corner but it is all the way through batting and backing and top. *Grrr* (Repeat after me...I love my cat, I love my cat, I love my cat!) No handmade felt catnip mousies for him for christmas!
:|
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM

As a groomer I second the suggestions about trying douche, or a combination of dawn, baking soda & peroxide. You don't want to use anything that has amonia in it as it can make it worse or tomato juice. The longer the odor stays in the more difficult it will be to get out and the less chance there is of getting it out, many times it will smell good when it is dry but as soon as it gets damp (even a humid day) you will notice the odor.

With that said, I realize the time and work it would take to redo an area but that's what I would try to do. I wouldn't be comfortable giving anything that might have an odor because you don't know if anyone else could be allergic to that odor. I can handle the smell of a dirty dog but perfumes, cleaning solutions, chemicals & that sort of thing make me sick.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Yes I am referring to your avatar. But it doesn't look Persian to me as they have the smushed "Pekingese" face. Looks like it has Maine Coon in it. Anyway, lovely, beautiful baby!
Originally Posted by catlover
vschieve,

Are your referring to my cat avatar? That's Molly. she's 100% cat - persian I suppose. Rescue kitty. Loves to leave the "golden fleece" all over the house. But, I love her.

Cynthia
Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 AM

That's not funny. I had this happen to me once, not a quilt, but my daughter's wedding dress. I had the living room roped off, dress spread all over the living room and I sat in there for hours at a time, on the floor sewing pearls all over appliqued lace flowers. Took me over 2 weeks. Well it was almost finished. I was so happy, I did the happy dance. Left it and went Christmas shopping. Came home and here sat our 3# poodle in the middle of the wedding dress and here she had peeded in the very front of dress. I almost fainted and then I wanted to strangle her. Had to take out the center lace motif, sponge and start over. Thats all you can do.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM

have had good luck with the nature's miracle specifically for cats. as someone else said, really soak it. good luck
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM

If your cat is fixed and still spraying it could mean he has a bladder infection. Check your cat food for ash content. The lower the ash content the less likely they will be to get bladder infections. We have bought our cat food for years at costco(dry food) and haven't had a single bladder infection in our cats. We always have four but right now we have 13. In the beginning our cats did that all the time. Once the vet told me why it was happening and what caused it we have never had an infection again and we have rescued cats that came with one but it went away as soon as they started eating the food we have here. Good luck with your problem.