Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this common ? >

Is this common ?

Is this common ?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Our local quilt shop also tears. However, I ask them to cut it and they wilingly do so. I tell them it hurts my heart to see the fabric torn!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM

Our LQS always makes sure the selvages meet and they straighten the length out to be sure their cuts are accurate. I always come home with a straight cut edge and its ready to begin making strips or whatever. This is the only shop I have ever been in that goes through that much bother to make sure their cuts are straight.
I think this is why there are always customers in the shop, they know they are being treated the way the owners want to be treated.
I don't tear, but know some people who do.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM

I still think tearing is the way to MAKE sure that the GRAIN of the fabric is straight. There is a lot to be said for straight grain especially when quilting. ALSO, when you cut across the width of the fabric, you are already making the fabric less stable, SO if you want the fabric on the straight grain and do not want to tear you can always pull a thread and cut, HOWEVER if the fabric store cut it off grain as most of the stuff is these days, I hope you will include an extra 4 to 5 inches, because you can lose that much if you figure out that both ends are off grain.:)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM

If mine hasn't been torn, I tear the edge to make sure I'm starting off square with the grain of the fabric.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 AM

If the fabrics is distorted , than get some one to help you to pull the fabric cross-wise if you have a lone price. By puling it cross-wise the fabric well straighten.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM

I have had some awful cuts from fabric shops even when they use a guide.I think it is a let down,Iam a newbee and need all the help I can get
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM

What I don't like when fabric is cut, is that when ever there is a new gadget they seem to try it out in the store, and that is when I get such un-even cuts...like the new thumb suction cup thing to hold your ruler straight...blaaaa never seen a person use it where it doesn't move...walking the hand down the ruler is the only way to go.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM

I prefer they cut my fabric also, but I have been known to tear some off at home, when I need a smaller piece off of a very large cut. Sometimes though, they don't cut it straight, at that point, I'd rather they tore it.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM

This a common practice and I actually wish all fabric stores did this. I used to work at House of Fabrics and when we did fabrics for quilters, we had to rip it. When you rip it, it tears straight down the weave of the fabric and is much more accurate than cutting. I know it it's a little messy, but it's better to deal with the strings than getting home only to find out that your cut was way off and you don't have enough fabric for your project which seems to happen all too frequently.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by KathyKat
If mine hasn't been torn, I tear the edge to make sure I'm starting off square with the grain of the fabric.
I do that too!