Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You ever think your just not good at this ? >

You ever think your just not good at this ?

You ever think your just not good at this ?

Old 01-01-2011, 06:26 PM
ro
Banned

it's so nice to hear so many words of encouragement. i am my own worst critic. and as someone said to me when you first learned to crochet or know what did you do when there was a mistake. i ripped and did it again i said. so why should quilting be any different. just take your time. it will all come to you. those words are implated in my brain.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 PM

ro Thank you, I am sure going to give it a try! crogers
Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM

I learn something every time I make something. I am always glad when it is finished and I rarely do the same thing twice, so I have to always learn a something new if I start another quilt.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM
ro
Banned

well they say we should learn something new every day. unfortunately, sometimes this new thing gives us quite a headache. im new to quilting and started because i joined a block a month. there are no instruction. no one to tell you how or what to do. so you learn on your own. which for some is a good thing. i like to have someone around that i can ask questions to. i just dont have confidence yet. and dont feel i should because i know i dont know what in the world i'm doin. but we all hearn from mistakes. i just think that this block a month should have been geared down more to people w/no experience, which is everyone in the group that's doin it.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:00 PM

I've only read through page 2...noticing a pattern here and wanted to put my 2 cents worth in....Those who piece and quilt perfectly are called artisans...we who quilt UNperfectly are called quilters! LOL! Like someone said earlier...nothing else I do is perfect, why do I think my quilting will be/should be??
My husband wouldn't be able to find a mistake in any of my quilts and the first time he does, I'll show him where the machines are and how to use them! LOL!
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM

My grand mother taught me to quilt starting about age 9 she told me great grand ma taught her because at that time you had to know how unless you didn't mind the cold winters. Quilting B's were a form of entertainment and a time for women to sit together in one place and just visit. She is never happy with her finished product, But the stories she can tell you about her quilts. Grandma says her quilts are her memories she's not perfect so why should her quilts be? Every mistake, every stich, every quilt is part of her life. She is proud of every quilt she ever made. Many have been lost over the years, but many have been passed on to the next generation. Grandma is helping me with a quilt for my grand daughters High School graduation gift for this June. Yes she is still with us at 101 yr. Blind but has a great sence of touch and as she says can still do a fair blind stich. So keep making memories one stich at a time.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

i never think of myself as not being good at quilting , i thinkof myself doing what i want to do at my own pace and doing what patterns i like !!!!

do be so hard on your self!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. I have finished several projects where I didn't like the fabric or the pattern so I hated it from start to finish. Don't let it get you down. Find some "happy fabric" and pattern that you want to do and I'll bet you will feel much better about it!!! Hang in there! :-D :-D :-D
Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quite a bit and it is mainly when I get in a rush and nothing turns out and it becomes work instead of fun. When I am making something for someone in an allotted amount of time, that puts the pressure on me. I have a king quilt I started last march and have had nothing but problems with, so I put it away for awhile until I feel I can tackle it again. Right now am working on a baby quilt and it was too small so have been adding borders, hope this turns out, as the baby shower is on the 8th, so have to hop to it. Theres those people that have natural ability where others struggle. I found so many people have the same problems, so am less harsh on self now.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 AM

A friend and fellow quilter told me once that after a while you will reach the point where you will decide if you can live with something being not just perfect or not. I've gotten to that point on somethings and not on others. Recently I took apart and totally redid a mistery (pardon spelling I'm brain dead at this hour) quilt that I had sewn 192 squares together wrong. I had put it away for 6 months and decided at a quilt retreat to start redoing it. It is totally done, looks great, is mine to keep, and has the name of "second chance." :)