Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You ever think your just not good at this ? >

You ever think your just not good at this ?

You ever think your just not good at this ?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Who says you aren't "good enough"? Are you happy with your work? Sounds like your DH is. I think, and I'm sure this has already been said, we are our worst critics. I don't plan to enter any of my quilts in judging contest. As long as my family likes them I'm happy.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM

I think you are doing what we all do and that is be too critical of oneself. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm sure your DH will love it because I'm sure he has watched you pour your heart and soul into it. Be sure to post a picture of it when it's done!!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM

I know exactly what your are talking about. I am at present working on a quilt for my son and his wife. It's in blues and greens with a cream and tiny bronze star background fabric. They really like it but I am really disappointed in it. I tried a new technique for the flying geese part of the quilt, which from the pattern said not to cut off the extra material but to leave it as that this would stop the geese from distorting. The result is way too much bulk in the quilt when you are piecing the blocks together and it also makes keeping the points and joins extact almost impossible. I am not silly enough to think that I am an expert as I have only been quilting for a short time, and I know the only person who will notice the mistakes are me, but I am still upset! Hopfully when I get it long arm quilted some of the mistakes won't be as obvious. It is still made with heaps of love and I do know that whatever they will love it and keep it for a very long time. Bless them.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM

I've had lots of things I started then set aside because I wasn't in love with it anymore. And I think I'm not good enough at this every day. I come back when I can look at it and be inspired. It usually doesn't take long, but it's best not to force it or else you start to make mistakes and it just snowballs.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM

I've had lots of things I started then set aside because I wasn't in love with it anymore. And I think I'm not good enough at this every day. I come back when I can look at it and be inspired. It usually doesn't take long, but it's best not to force it or else you start to make mistakes and it just snowballs.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 PM

I think we all tend to be more critical of our own work more than others. Quilting is a "hands-on" hobby and you have to keep trying to find out what you like best doing. I am not fond of stars/diamonds but the final product is breathtaking. Squares are simple and easy. Give yourself time, because it takes time to try out different patterns and shapes to feel comfortable to the point of saying it looks good. Enjoy the process because that's what it's all about.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 PM

As I finished the binding on my latest quilt this evening, I thought about how the binding is my favorite part of this process because it's the LAST part! tee hee
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Thanks everyone! I have quilted this full size quilt on my little janome jem. If I am going to continue I may have to invest in a longer throat,that is what I tell myself anyway. That is a lot to wrestle under a little machine. Like I don't have others..off to work. Happy New Year!
Honey, if you quilted a full size quilt on a Janome Jem, you ARE a quilter. We all have bouts of thinking "praise God this one's done", or I'll finish the binding next year. I'm sure he is happy with it. He knows what a labor of love it is, unlike what we sometimes do for others.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Guess I was afraid that I would have a quilter see my work and do the q police!
I totally understand where ya are coming from here, my dad usually does that to every quilt I make... especially the ones that are in various stages of completion on the design walls. Grrrr!! It is so discouraging and frustrating, especially when he has never made anything with needle and thread in his life! But, I still continue to make stuff for him nonetheless. Someday I hope he will appreciate all the hard work that has gone into each one and decide to cut me some slack.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM

I don't know about you but it seems that when I can finish up a quilt something comes up and I need to start on a new on that does not take as long to finish. I have a quilt I started for one of my best friends that I had hope to finish for her birthday June of 2010, then I thought maybe Christmas 2010, now it looks like birthday June 2011. I can do it because I do not foresee anything coming up in the mean time. I HOPE!
I hope to finish the binding tonite on a quilt for my dh, it it a pattern that I made up due to the material design itself. I am just not thrilled with quality of my work. It won't ever win any award, but my dh says it doesn't have to be perfect for him! Bless his heart. I had hoped to finish it for his birthday in November, then my goal was Christmas, now my goal is New Year's. Ever glad to be done with a project? Sometimes I think I am just no good at this stuff. Then I look at it and think it is not that bad. Then I think I am just not cut out for this stuff. Then, like a nut I turn around and start again......