Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting on your lap >

hand quilting on your lap

hand quilting on your lap

Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 AM

I use the q snap embroidery frames , had DH cut tubes of different lengths so i could make whatever size i wanted. works great for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 AM

Hello everyone. I have been getting messages from many of you, telling me the web link that Happy Treadler posted didn't work. It should have been http://www.laptophoops.com , without the extra slash and ( ). Thanks for looking.
Harry Barnett

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
OK, I now see I'm in a room full of enablers!! ha ha.

I had bought this very large floor frame for hand quilting years ago, but since I've moved I've been quilting everything on my treadle sewing machines (which is a lot of fun, btw). The frame is WAY too big to set up & tear down all the time, but I'm really liking the Barnett lap frames http://www.laptophoops.com . I'm seriously re-visiting my love of hand-quilting, although I have a very bad habit of quilting with my nail without a thimble (just could never get used to any I found) and thus make a hole if I quilt too much (like there's such a thing!).

My big 40th birthday is in like 3 weeks, and geez I just may need to buy myself a little something. ;) I so greatly appreciate all the input on this list. So many people don't understand why I enjoy doing things the 'old fashioned way', and I hear a lot of "if you can do it on a machine, why hand-quilt?". I just find it nice to be in the family room WITH the family instead of alone in the sewing room.

Thanks again, and sorry for rambling. I'm getting absolutely nothing done today! ;)

Trina

p.s. Is there a place to go on this list to search a topic? I'm having trouble finding a search engine.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 AM

To all of you who pin your work, how many pins do you use per sqare foot? I would guess the more the better but perhaps someone could post a picture of a pinned WIP so I can get the feel for the right amt.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

I spread the quilt over the couch and then sit where the coffee table would be (mine is bench like and I sit on it) the couch 'holds' the quilt almost as well as a frame and I can see where I am going as it is spread out. I have also used a smaller floor frame that exposes about 12" x 20" and a friend uses one of those made of PVC pipe. I usually end up going back to the 'couch' method however, as it is quite relaxing and if basted, not pinned, it is hanging over the back of your couch so you can admire it.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

What are you doing crawling around on the floor? Go to you local church or community center and put together 2 of the larger tables! Do you basting that way!
I thread baste because I hate getting my thread caught on the safety pins. When I hand quilt I baste in a 5-6 inch grid pattern. so easy and quick.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM

I baste mine by tacking to the wall in the hallway.Works great for me and no crawling on the floor.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Have never sew with a hoop, or frame, but I do have a small floor frame that I will use to hand quilt larger quilts this year. Like to hand quilt in my lap.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM

So I'm curious is anyone's had any luck using the Aunt Becky gadget with your hand quilting? Mine arrived in yesterday's mail.