Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the cheapest thing you do? >
  • What is the cheapest thing you do?

• What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    [ We don't care, there's always food on our table, clothes on our back and we are debt free.
    As in Dave Ramsey? I love that man! :)[/quote]

Amen, Sista! We used his steps to become debt-free, too!
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 AM
    Banned

Cut my own hair and my DH's hair, and my daughter's hair.

Reuses water bottles.

Tear dryer sheets in half, as well as paper towels.

Use paper towels instead of napkins.

Unplug TV, computer, coffee maker and most other electricity sapping devises when we are not home for even a few hours.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by valinwa
    this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
    Take a burned out lightbulb and stick it up into the toe of the sock and use a needle and thread to darn the hole closed. I've been doing it for years on my wool socks!
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:14 AM

My Mom seperates 2 ply tissues and uses one at a time- we laugh at this but my parents raised 4 kids on my Dad's pay doing stuff like that (Dad worked for the town highway dept.) we never went without. Now my parents are able to spend 2 winter months at Garden City, SC in an oceanside condo-they earned it! I hang our clothes up to dry in the winter- we heat with a coal furnace so there's lots of "free" heat to dry with- I figure my dryer will last twice as long this way too. During the summer I use the clothesline outside, we plant a garden, I love to shop at the Salvation Army- AND I really only like to shop there on Wednesdays when it's 50% off day! I love to buy scrap fabrics at my LQS- they put the odds and ends in a laundry basket and sell it for $4.50 a pound- this is great for scrap quilts and my Dear Jane that I'm working on.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM

We have CFL bulbs in all lamps, etc. - saves electricity.

I cook. I brew my own coffee.

WE use BOBBLE instead of purchasing bottled water.

We recycle, re-purpose, reuse.

I use coupons if the store is on my route...so I also save fuel.

The only item I never scrimp on is bathroom tissue....I will save on other items, but I must have Charmin!
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 AM
    tmw

Originally Posted by valinwa
    this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
    you can put the socks on your hands and use them to dust with, and even put your polish on the wood with .
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Cut the shampoo or lotion bottle in half, there's at least three more usings in each.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I think it has to do with when we were first married 36 yrs ago and I did't have much money for groceries. I would scrape the jar to get enough mayonaise to send on DH's sandwiches for work and I eaked it out to make it last. So now I won't throw a Miracle Whip jar or peanut butter jar away until it is scraped and I do mean scraped clean. I can certainly afford more Miracle Whip but it is an ingrained habit.
    My mother grew up during the Great Depression in a family of 12. They had to come up with ways to save on everything. One of her ways to finish up a jar of mayonaise is to put a couple of drops of milk in the jar and stir it up. It works by thinning it only a litte and makes it easier to scrap the jar clean.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Make my own pizza. The kids tell me about a dinner they go out for like at Olive Garden. I look up the recipe and make it for less that it costs one person to eat there and I can feed 5! LOL

I buy generic Tylenol and Advil. I buy things that are on sale or I have a coupon for. I don't like to pay full price for anything! I try not to go shopping and get the high of the buy and realize I really didn't need it. I try to really think about what I purchase.

Watch that show Hoarders and it really makes you think HOW did they get like that! I never want to end up with a house like that, I do know they have an illness, but still, it makes me really think about what I have or what I need instead of what I want. If I don't have room for it, I don't need it.
    Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

DH buys all his socks from a hiking/camping catalog. His socks last for years, even his dress shoes socks. I asked around and found a lady that will knit socks for me and I buy the yarn I like and she will knit the socks. I love hand knitted socks using the quality yarns you can find online now.