Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM

I don't use paper towels or paper napkins and I get my cloth napkins at the thrift store. When the kids were little I saved all shape boxes and we would paint and decorate them for a little town. We got a new washer and I used the box for an indoor play house. When the sides began to give way, I turned it on it's side and the kids used it as a slide with the help of a step stool. They had fun with that box for the whole winter. Summer came and we took someone else's box they were throwing out and all the kids had fun in our yard.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 PM

I'm a whiz with leftovers - I make completely new dinners with them - i.e.: shepherd's pie with leftover roast beef, mashed potatoes/gravy, vegetables, spaghetti pie with leftover pasta sauce - things like this. I know people that will NOT eat leftovers! I also use and reuse zip seal type bags.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 PM

If you have small kids, or grandkids and live where it is cold, put them on top of the boots to keep snow out of them, and around the wrist to keep snow from getting into the sleeves. Also, cut them into rings and have the kids paint on them to make wrist bands. My grand daughter takes her new socks and makes "sleeping bags" for her stuffed animals when she goes to bed.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM

Great ideas here, I stock up on food when it is on sale, and when I visit my grown kids I bring food for them and goodie bags for the kids. They are on a tight budget, with little kids. When we get there, the grand kids sit at the table and watch as I take out "store brand cookies and cereals, and fruit roll ups, and "large" oranges and apples. They each get their own cookie bag, box, etc. It makes me feel so good, and they think they are getting a million dollars to get their "own" goodies. They share and trade with each other.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Take those thin slivers of his soap and "weld" them to a new bar that he's used at least once. Wet both and press them together. Do this in the am if he showers in the pm, or reverse if that applies. Bothered me that my husband did the same. Don't think he even knows I doing this :lol: .
Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

[quote=Minnisewta]I've been known to iron my tissue paper and reuse it on my next gift.

when I first started reading this, I thought you were talking about toilet tissue paper. tee hee whew...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM

Cut tubes in half, turn bottles of detergent upside down to let all liquid drain out and most important, watch for special sales for seniors and ask for senior discounts. We were raised that way and it has come in handy over the years.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

the only thing I do, that I can that of, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is I make my own baby wipes. SO much cheaper and so far, baby hasn't had a diaper rash, so I save on ointment too.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I love this topic! I retired as a community educator with Cooperative Extension and this was part of my job working with families in the community! Menu planning and cooking ahead offer huge savings to us all. For example, buying bulk ground beef or chuck (the chuck is actually cheaper as you are not "throwing away" a half of can of fat), turn your oven on, cook a meatloaf, meatballs and hamburger patties within the same hour. When its done, throw the meatballs and the burgers in the freezer for another meal. Ice cube trays for leftover veggies, freeze and then put in a ziplock. Combination meals 2x per week, meatless meals 1-2 x per week. This is a huge savings, we all know next to taxables, the meat is a huge expense. When shopping for laundry soap, don't always buy into the cheapest bottle, look at the cap for quanity recommended per load. If you live in an area that has day and night rates for your electric (I do), do your wash, vac, etc in the evening or early early in the am. Unplug anything not in use. Even turned off, if its plugged in, it is costing you. I'll hush now, this is fun!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I save plastic bags and empty containers and usually can find a good use for them. I try to get every drop out of any bottle I use---shampoo, dish soap and hand cream. I hate to throw anything away because I figure I will use it sometime---therefore I save little scraps of fabric, little cardboards from fat quarters. Now my house is very neat and not like a hoarders---I just save the things that are useable---not crazy stuff.

Hubby and I save all our food scraps and peels to bury for fertilizer!