Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

I think it has to do with when we were first married 36 yrs ago and I did't have much money for groceries. I would scrape the jar to get enough mayonaise to send on DH's sandwiches for work and I eaked it out to make it last. So now I won't throw a Miracle Whip jar or peanut butter jar away until it is scraped and I do mean scraped clean. I can certainly afford more Miracle Whip but it is an ingrained habit.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
My mom always cut them open and used them for rags to dust or whatever.

I have taken them and made Snowmen out of them. They make great Snowmen!

If you have a dog I take them and stretch them enough to tie a knot in them and they are a great tug of war toy for your dog.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 PM

family of 8 here! We don't use paper towels....you'd be amazed at how many we used to use. I have a splatter thing that sits on top of pans that I use to drain fries and such. Works great. I add water to detergent and shampoo, use vaseline instead of lip balm and sometimes lotion. No cable tv....just the antenna. use the library lots instead of buying books, heat with wood, and the list goes on.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I use to be very frugal when my kids were little and we were trying to save money. I didn't throw out anything, not one bean. I don't fret the frugal stuff much now. No need to, I'm spending all the money I saved by being frugal for so many years!
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
My mom always cut them open and used them for rags to dust or whatever.

I have taken them and made Snowmen out of them. They make great Snowmen!

If you have a dog I take them and stretch them enough to tie a knot in them and they are a great tug of war toy for your dog.
Let's see I use them for dusting, and I have several around with knots for the dogs, but I haven't tried the snowman. I started saving them with the intention of making some rag dolls or sock dolls but haven't quite gotten that far, have to figure out a pattern. Yes fluffy snowmen sounds good....
Old 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM

I cut and color my own hair. I can't stand anybody to do it for me, too expensive and if I make a mistake I have nobody to blame but myself. I also cut my husband's hair for 30 years and our kids hair too.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM

I bought the foaming type of hand soap and instead of buying refills, I use a little bit of cheap shampoo and fill up with water. As long as it's really thin, it will foam. I also rinse and reuse ziplock bags unless they had raw meat in them. Those I throw out just to be safe.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:42 PM

on the holy socks, I have a wood stove and when I need to dust around the stove and stove pipe, I slip a sock on my hand then throw it away when I am done.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

I do canning.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

I use traditional type polyester batting so when I have pieces left I use them on my Swiffer broom. I also use small pieces to dust my tv and pc tower etc. They also work well to clean DVDs.