Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM

I cut coupons, use to do refunding, make soup and eat it for 4 days, lunch and dinner. Use old flannel sheets for dusting, save my own seeds from my garden for the next spring.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I re-use mailing envelopes - those yellow ones.
Sometimes I do that too.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I cut and color my own hair. I can't stand anybody to do it for me, too expensive and if I make a mistake I have nobody to blame but myself. I also cut my husband's hair for 30 years and our kids hair too.
LOL, sounds like me......and I do have "bad hair" days too.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!
Jan, I think we are married to the same guy! lol
He wastes so many things it drives me nuts but I just use them up :D:D

I use shampoo and body wash down to the last drop. When I can no longer get any out I water it down, shake it up and use it for my hand washables.
I can be really frugal but really extravagant so I guess it evens out (maybe hahaha)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

[ We don't care, there's always food on our table, clothes on our back and we are debt free.[/quote]

As in Dave Ramsey? I love that man! :)
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM

When I am cooking, I rip one paper towel off the roll and use it all through my food prep.

We also keep a separate bin for the used paper towel as it can go in our compost that the city collects.

I am always walking around turning off lights.

I dilute my shampoo and body wash with half water.

I also police the garbage for recycling...
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM

My Gran's fave frugal idea:

Only purchase flat sheets. When it's laundry day, flip the flat sheets over rather than washing them.

I assume most modern folks would be appalled by that idea but it used to be normal behavior.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

I "inherited" my frugality from my grandparents. They actually were well-off, but the family joke was that the Grand Canyon was made when my Papaw accidentally dropped a quarter down a rabbit hole! ;) :lol:

I, too, make my own laundry soap, my own hair conditioner (from a conditioner base), and even my own sinus rinse. We have a small garden, and I'm learning how to can. Biscuits are usually homemade from scratch, then frozen for later use. I shop sales, use coupons, and buy boxes of food from Angel Food Ministries. No credit cards or vehicle payments. If there's something we want, we save up for it. :)

When the bar of soap is down to its last sliver, we lather up a new bar of soap, and press the sliver onto it. It sticks, so there's no waste at all.

I use old washrags on our Swiffer. They fit perfectly, and can be tossed into the laundry and reused. I make scrubbies for the kitchen, too.

We either buy our furniture used, or DH builds it. (I draw the line at mattresses, though. Mattresses are bought brand new!)

DH is able to do nearly all home and auto repairs himself, which has saved us a TON of money over the years. :)

We will, however, pay more for a quality-made item, when it's justified. Bath towels, for example. They're cheap at the dollar store, but cheap towels don't last long. I'd rather pay a little more for a nice set of towels that'll last for years. In the long run, you come out ahead. :)

It's actually enjoyable to think up ways to reuse and re-purpose things. Empty jars, old clothes, etc.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to reuse toilet paper.

;) Just kidding! :lol:
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM

You ladies are great! I've gotten a lot of ideas from this board. Got the idea of making m own foaming soap from this board. Now there are even more ideas. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM

DH reuses freezer paper forever. He marks out the last label and then adds another. Some of the papers are nearly black from all the markings!