Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

I bleach my own hair also cut it myself. I use to cut hubbys too but then he wanted it shaved so I did the first shave now he does it! He reuses his baggie for lunch sandwich he takes his lunch to work in a wally bag.Yeah I squeeze the toothpaste till it cant be squeezed anymore. Started using coupons again
Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM

I cut down bread bags and my DH reuses them as baggies for his sandwiches, I make newspaper into wood logs for our fireplace and save gift bags and good boxes for re-packaging.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Here's a new one ... husband and I own a business and we take our machines to trade shows around the country. Most trade show booths are either purchased from companies that design them for a living, or rented from the show superintendent. Hubby designs and makes our booth using the material (extruded aluminum) that he makes our machines out of. The best part is that when the show is over, he cuts the booth up and makes machines! Our booth has even won awards and people can't believe how cheap it is for us.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM

I refused to toss out the marvelous LL Bean's Ragg wool socks we wore on our back packing honeymoon...in 1967. His wore out, mine I'm still wearing in winters with felt soles sewed under for foot pads. Warm and comfy in the evening. Have one pair still left in fair condition, about time to toss the other pair and put on another felt padding on these.

Wash clothes in cold water, same result as hot so save money that way. Put quilt batting and muslin behind all drapes, sure does help with the power bills. And I made rolls of batting rolled over a long bag of sand and sewn into fabric for draft dodgers. Sure does help with cold floors.

Put bubble wrap on windows where the drapes are never opened, which usually means on the North side of the house and on a pair of hideously hot South facing ones.

Make lists for shopping days, with shops planned in a smooth curve and no back tracking. That irritates me as well as wastes
gas. And shop with lists, with Costco last and have lunch there.
I love their hot dogs, don't plan to give them up. A big Hot dog and refillable soda still $1.50.

Big savings is in books, I read fast and go thorough massive amounts of them every month. So I shop yard sales, flea markets, library used book store (I donate them back after reading) and graciously accept all donations. The library itself doesn't have many new ones these days of money cuts, but they still have masses of other, older ones I haven't read yet.

And to save most of all, I've learned to make many repairs to the house that when first married I never thought I'd ever have to.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:27 PM

When my swiffer sheet is dirty, I turn it over and use the other side.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM

I make my own scrubbies, for 67 cents I have a scrubber that will last at least a year. :) and, I love to recycle, so I made my fence and yard benches from old fencing neighbors were removing to install new fencing with.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I wash and reuse plastic bags too. I cut open lotion bottles and use every last drop! I roll and re-roll the toothpaste tube. I cut DH's hair and he cuts mine. I guess the most pitiful one is that DH and I will share a burger from the value menus at the fast food joints...split an order of fries and drink water...we both have lunch for under $4.00. The cashier looks at us like..."you poor things"..:lol:
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM

I too am frugal. I only have slow, dial up, internet service, use antennae for my t.v. watching, keep my thermostat set at about 65 degrees during the winter [wear comfy sweatshirts for warmth]. I really don't mind being frugal and I wish the younger generation knew something about being frugal....
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

We cut each others hair, cut open tubes to get the last bit of foundation/makeup/whatever. We both belong to our local library, avid thrift shoppers, in winter I buy thick black tights and mend them if I get holes...re-use, re-cycle anything we can think of really. Our kids think we are at worst mad or kindest, eccentric. We don't care, there's always food on our table, clothes on our back and we are debt free.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:44 PM

When the kids were little, after they were asleep in their beds, I'd mix up a half gallon of powdered milk and add it to a half gallon of regular milk. I always put it in a gallon milk jug, and they never knew.