Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM

I guess the only frugal thing I do, that hasn't been mentioned, is saving plastic peanut butter jars and margerine tubs to put used oil or fat in. Then I put it in the freezer and continue to add to it until full.
I hate to put chicken bones etc in the garbage because of the odor. So I put them in a WMart bag and store in the freezer until garbage day.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!
I put the little soap scraps that my DH won't use in my net bath puff. The disintegrate there and get used up all the way.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:37 AM

I've been known to iron my tissue paper and reuse it on my next gift. I also have fabric Christmas ribbon with wire in it. I'm on my 4th or 5th year. My family laughs at me but I don't care.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 AM

I do a lot of things already mentioned, but another thing I do to be frugal is I drive 60 or 65 mph even if the limit is higher. I save a lot $ on gas.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Just last week I ran out of coffee filters, so I kept rinsing out the filter to reuse . I did this for 5 days beefore I got to the store to buy more. Coffee grinds go to the roses. If the stamp wasn't marked when I received mail, I would peel it off and reglue to a bill going out.
If am at a families home and there's left over scraps I ask if I can take it to my fussy peke Pookie
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by cindit
We are debt free except for the mortgage!!
We are debt-free, including the mortgage! It's a wonderful feeling!

We also do just about everything that people have listed on this list! LOL I've been reading trying to find something new, but so far...nada! :)

We are a bunch of frugalites here! I love it!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM

I put old sox (white) on my hands and use them to dust or clean with....
Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM

BTW...if you don't use rechargeable batteries in your camera, when the batteries are no longer strong enough for the camera you can save them and use them in things that don't take as much energy, like clocks, etc.

We also made the switch to cloth napkins about a year ago. I found all of ours at Goodwill and yard sales. We use the cloth ones for a couple of uses until they get dirty and then throw them in with our regular wash of towels. I keep them folded in a basket on the table for use.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I cut my fabric sheets in half. I use tennis balls in the dryer for items that will have a lot of static in them.
Tennis balls are useful when drying pillows; they take all the bumps out, redistribute the filling.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM

I don't know. I have seen a lot of Families become this way due to the economey.
When Movies come out in theater we wait till they are on DVD. After tickets for 2 and babysitter it is cheaper for us to buy the movie. Then a lot of times we will wait and find it at Pawn shops, or used Video/Game places. My husband loves movies our last count was something like 2000 dvds.
When growing up my Mom would sew my clothes. Use to frustrate me cause I would see something when window shopping and mom was always ready to say "I can make that."I am not as muck of a sewer as my mom however I love crafts. So when my Son sees something he hears it not only form me but from dad as well. My DH is a jack of all trades kind of Man I'll see something I like for the house or what not and he tells me "I can make that." Hearing it now is not so frustrating.
Originally Posted by bevysue57
This thread is fantastic. The newer generations could really learn from this. My grandparents, who went thru the depression taught me a lot and we need to pass this on so these tips are not forgotten. I do many of these things plus I also propagate my own plants, roses, bushes and trees for landscaping.