Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM

I save all the cards that come inside my magazines and use them for templates or create my appliqué patterns. They are great for hexagon templates. They fit inside a recipe file box and makes it easy to keep organized before and after you cut then into your patterns
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM

I cut off the top of the tubes of creme or lotion and keep cutting it down until I get to the bottom. My 20 yo niece laughed at me and then said "my mama does the same"!!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:03 PM

Pay bills online (no stamps or envelopes needed). Clothes and furniture come from second hand or Goodwill. Use old socks as dog bed stuffing.
I am getting ready to build a house and have all supplies, flooring, windows, doors, electrical, water, cabinets, counter tops, complete bathroom for less than $4,000 from shopping at salvage and used stores. Am shopping now for logs and roof at a discount. Foundation will be rocks from our neighbors fields.
Ask the butcher when he puts out marked down meat then shop in bulk. Just today I found boneless, skinless chicken breast for .98 a pound. I bought 40 lbs, sliced them in half and have them in the freezer. Enough for 6 months.@3 meals a week.
Grow my own veggies, start my own plants from heirloom seeds in paper egg cartons then transfer them to saved take out cups when they get big enough. I have garlic growing in my windowsill now.
My only vice is fabric and I have been blessed with it when there was a need for it.
Going now to have discussion with DH about him wanting to buy a New Car. We already own 2 cars, 4 trucks and 3 tractors. More than enough, I would prefer to pare it down to 3 total. Watch for the fireworks in the southeastern sky LOL.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM

The new soap sounds like my DH. He thinks a large bar is all that cleans. So I use the small bar forever and then plaster it to the new one he's been using, therefore...no waste.
Originally Posted by no1jan
My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

Cheap, sometimes, but as my pocketbook will attest, when it comes to fabric, NO!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM

I installed two programmable thermostats yesterday. It was quite easy and saved almost $200 over what the HVAC man wanted to charge. They are supposed to save money, though probably won't because we were already in the habit of adjusting the temperature at night and any time we're not home. I would like to hang clothes on a line outdoors fairly often, but our community assn. considers clotheslines unsightly. The dryer uses lots of energy, and I need more exercise. Besides, clothes hung outside smell wonderful.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 PM

I use plastic sandwich bags for my quilt pieces. At the lab, we get alot of clean, sterile items in plastic sandwich bags. Those bags usually go in the trash but I have been saving them, bring them home, and using (and reusing) them. I haven't had to buy bags in two years. I also save cardboard that comes in various things and use it for templates. I also use the subscription card things in magazines for templates too. I save all the ends of thread, floss, yarn, and fabric pieces for stuffing. Don't know why...just do.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
I knew a lady who repaired the holes, by putting the sock over a light bulb and sewing a sock patch on. It worked!
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
I knew a lady who repaired the holes, by putting the sock over a light bulb and sewing a sock patch on. It worked!
My Dad used to do that with the light bulb. he learned it in the navy during WWII. He wouldn't let Mom darn his socks because she didn't do it right. lol I bet that didn't break her heart.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM

I was going to add something but I think just about every frugal thing I do is already mentioned! Wow, makes me feel good I'm not the only one making sure I have squeezed every bit of "use" out of the stuff I use.