Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mimmis57
How do you make hair conditioner?
I buy a conditioner base from a bath/body supply store. You just heat up some water, add the base and fragrance to the water, stir, then bottle it up. :)
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
i cut them in half (to open them up flat) and use them for rags
I don't cut them. I wear them on my hands and they work great.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptquilts
OK, I guess a lot of us are pretty frugal folks, we're all semi-anonymous here, so fess up- what is the cheapest thing you do?

I will start off - when i can't squeeze any more toothpaste out of the tube, I cut it into pieces and get at least 6 more times out of it by running my brush inside the tube (no I do not share my bathroom or toothpaste with any one else, so it's sanitary!)

OK, your turn!
me too, also use envelopes that are sent with junk mail, save string for further use, tear any unseable fabric to use as ties around bags,use tights etc for tying up plants/shrubs,use lipstick that is below the top,use supermarket plastic bags for lining rubbish bin in kitchen ---the smaller ones use to take tidbits to horse, reuse jiffy bags,cut arms off jumpers/sweatshirts/fleeces to make makeshift coats for dog rescue.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Stacey, My parents can on their outdoor BBQ all the time because their stove is the glass top. also nice, because if its hot and humid, your house doesnt get hotter!
Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
I cut and color my own hair. I can't stand anybody to do it for me, too expensive and if I make a mistake I have nobody to blame but myself. I also cut my husband's hair for 30 years and our kids hair too.
Same here! My Husband just uses clippers and I even layer, highlight, and color my own hair. If you have longer hair it's so easy, I feel silly sometimes that I ever paid for it.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 AM

I have to add my 2 bits to the conversation! It tickled me to see the old milk trick I used to do too- adding one half a jug dry milk to the regular, and kids never noticed!

I don't go quite that far anymore, but do a lot of the same things you do. One thing that for us saves a bit of money is that we compost food scraps (vegetarians), recycle anything that is recyclable, and take our own garbage to the dump. It isn't that far, and for 7.50 2 times a year, it is so much cheaper than service. Without the nasty food scraps in it, it just sits in our shed in bags until we are ready to make the little journey to the dump.

My quilting strategies are much the same value system- reuse, and recycle, enjoy creating with what I have and donate, donate, donate, so it doesn't fill up the house!!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by DJ
Originally Posted by no1jan
Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.
When our soap gets down to a sliver, we wet a new bar of soap and "mold" the sliver to the new bar.
When I get down to a sliver, I take it to the sewing room to use to mark quilts. The thin edge is just perfect, and it comes right off. Saves on marking pens!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
I put these socks aside and use them for dusting and waxing furniture. Works great. Just put your hand inside the sock, spray the outside with polish and wax or dust away.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I darn sox...very relaxing activity...VERY LITTLE paper towel use...very little prepared foods...bar soap..powdered milk for cooking/baking...reuse plastic baggies/zip locks (better for the environment too)...little bits of left overs go into soup pot or similar...make my crouton out of older bread..cook oatmeal for breakfast instead of packaged cereal or instant oatmeal (good for cholesterol LOL)..buy in bulk WHEN IT PAYS TO DO SO) etc. etc. etc. I am a frugalista!!
Old 01-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

AMEN!!!! Just wait a few years when they announce the terrible toxic problem created by the mercury in these nasty bulbs...