Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What is the cheapest thing you do? >
  • What is the cheapest thing you do?

• What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 PM

[quote=no1jan]My dh hates dealing with small picky things. He only cuts a turkey or chicken when it is easy to get the meat off.

Me on the other hand with pick off more meat for turkey/chicken salad or just regular sandwiches. Then I boil the rest to make soup. His leftovers could give us 5 more meals.

Another pet peeve of mine is hand soap. When the soap starts getting small, he digs out a new one. I can continue with the same bar until there is hardly anything there.

I get those little bits of bath soap and get them wet and stick them together or put them in a little bag I made out of netting and use them all gone .........lol
    Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM

oops
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Pam H
    I have worn the same chenille bathrobe for probably 20 years. It is so worn out but they just don't make them anymore in the tall size....or at least they didn't 5 yrs ago when I was looking for a new one.
    -----------------------------------------------
    I'm still wearing my Mother's old chenille house coat that I think may be as old as..well, very old. Never saw another like this, floor length, wide sleeves, belted waistline, etc. Very washable and very warm, large enough for heavy jammies under it. I'll wear it till it falls apart and then take it apart and make another like it, I love it so much!!
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Just google "how to make laundry soap" . Its very easy to do.
    I make 2-5 gallon buckets at a time.
    Jud
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by valinwa
    this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
    I cut up holli socks for dust rags, then just throw them away after dusting.
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM

I tell people that I am not cheap, just frugal, and I think it has to do with the way we were raised, I get a kick out of some of these people that say we need to go green, have been doing that all my life..didn't have a store bought dress till I was in high school, hand me downs were a big thing in our house, and being the youngest, mine were third downs instead of seconds..:)
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I cut brillo pads in half or quarters, and NEVER dip them in the dishwater. Store in a dry place and they last a long time.
    Try storing them in the freezer.

I've been reading through these posts and realize that there are many things that I "just do" without realizing that I'm being frugal. Many of these I learned from my mom, many I figured out for myself. One thing that really hit me is that I'm not the only one who adds water to things. I add water to "stretch" shampoo, conditioner, dish detergent, cleaners. I squeeze the dickens out of toothpaste tubes (but I don't cut it open). I use shoe boxes for storage of all kinds of things. I repurpose old vases, baskets, tupperware, the children's old lunch kits, zippered plastic bags that come with pillow cases, etc.
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 PM

I haven't used a BBQ Pit, for canning, but I have used the base and propane tank from the Turkey Fryer.
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 PM

The cheapest thing I do is quilt.

Fabric comes from thrift stores and ebay.
    Thread from ebay. Hint. Search for "mixed lot thread".
    I buy bed liners and old blankeys for batting.

I feel like if I spend too much on a quilt for someone, its more like I bought it and less like I made it. Shipping is the kicker. My 5 dollar project becomes a 20 dollar project! Lol

I feel obligated to the tradition of using what is available, so I'll probably never visit this joanne person you all speak so highly of.
    Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
    Dee

Wash and dry plastic bags. Save all scraps and on Thursday we have a hodge podge of everything. Jars to use for leftovers. Repair rips and tears. Rinse out soap bottles to get the last of it. Creams, I cut down the middle and get more.