Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 PM

Many ideas here. I do many of them
I use Miracle II products - their Laundry ball so don't buy laundry soap, use foamy bottles and use Miracle II soap in them and for shampoo, use their Gel to brush my teeth Don't use bar soap anymore. Feel like I get less 'germs' when using liquid.
Reuse bags and make bags for shopping bags.
"Country Cable" TV antenna - not much good on TV anyway.
Use coconut oil for cooking and hair dressing and lotion. Very good for your health too.
Use library lots.
Don't drink soda - too much sugar- drink water
Plant veg garden - do some canning and freezing. Buy meat from local farmer and divide with married children.
Shop at thrift stores
Use old towels, etc for rags
Use dryer sheets to put by Hostas to keep deer away.
Do my own nails. Lost my 'hair dresser' when my husband died. we used to cut each others hair.
LOVE my microfiber sheets. feels warm when I get into bed. Turn heat down to 60 at night. 65 during the day.
Get 'spots' out by soaking clothes in Oxi Clean. Hobby Lobby has little bottles of "grandmas secret spot remover' that works well.
unplug appliances, turn off lights. don't like CFL bulbs - dangerous - if you break them be careful. Also just read they are really not that much savings
Don't use plug in air freshners - can simmer orange, lemon peelings or cinnamon and make your house smell great.
Use crock pot lots now.
We always worked hard, only thing allowed to borrow money for was our land. bought used cars and machinery, drive within speed limit,
Use many things for uses other than what they are intended for such as old electrc roaster and and old 40 cup coffeepot for flower planters.
Thanks for all the tips.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
i cut them in half (to open them up flat) and use them for rags
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM

Frugal...what does that mean? LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Jim

ALready posted once but I forgot something else...I collect COKE POINTS...points on coke product caps and on box ends ...I enter them at MyCokeRewards.com...after saving them yrly I buy NIKE gift certificates with the points...the last two yrs I bought all 4 of my grandsons brand new NIKE's...for free...this yr I bought 5 pair of NIKE's for grandsons and a nephew...and still have a 50 buck certificate left (and got the $150 worth of gift cards for 50% off). I got in on a close out sale, extra 10% off and free shipping also....btw I dont even drink COKE...I have others that do save the points for me...LOL...hows that for being cheap...or should I say frugle?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:37 PM

I thought I was the only one who does that! loll
Old 01-28-2011, 11:42 PM

Oh! I thought of something else.

DH made us an HDTV antenna using a scrap of wood and some coat hangers. We saw a YouTube video about it. The only thing we had to buy was a little $5 part from Walmart, and we already had a piece of coax cable and some screws and washers.

It really does work, and works WELL! :thumbup: We get somewhere around 30 local channels, in HD, totally free. Of course, it depends on how many TV stations are in your area, but we can actually get channels now that we could never get with the old style of antenna.

We'd been paying $35-ish a month for DirecTV, but I cancelled it. :mrgreen:

Let me see if I can find the YouTube video right quick ...

Okay, I'm back. Here's the video! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Stacey
I started canning again this year. I used to, years ago, can everything. It is so gratifying to make a meal from the results of your garden or hunt. Our freezer is full of deer and fish. I have a question for ya'll, though. I have a ceramic cooktop which you are not supposed to can on. Has anyone ever canned outside on their BBQ pit?
I have a ceramic cook top and have been canning on top of it for 10 years. I pressure cook (can ) meat and jelly etc. before I remodeled my kitchen I had a sharp stove for 25 years which I canned on and never had any trouble with it. Now I have Amana stove. :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by valinwa
this is a bad one, my DH puts holes in sox faster than I can buy them, so I put them on turned around so the hole is on top of my foot, and I wear them around the house like slippers, they're kinda big so I turn the cuff down. Needless to say I am looking for ways to use old worn sox, any ideas? I have bags full. They're all white short crew sox.
i use the socks for a mop it works better than the regular mops, plus you can take them off and put them in the washer , I have the old type that has the metal clip on they are great , I use two pairs to do that , I also cut my own hair and bleach it, I also cut DH s hair, I do a lot what you all do, I even squeeeeese that dollar as the nickle has been squeeeeesed by too many Hahahaha.. if there is a way to save I will try it..:)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 AM

I re-use paper. Can't stand to throw it away. You know, the "goofs" that you do with your printer. I stick the paper back in and use the other side. Also use it for scratch paper.
Crazy, I know.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 AM

How do you make hair conditioner?