Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the cheapest thing you do? >

What is the cheapest thing you do?

What is the cheapest thing you do?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM

I have a Canon and it works great on it. I am not sure how other printers do. You can google refilling the different makes and come up with a lot of information.
I don't do very many photos, most of mine is printing coupons, patterns, ect. that quality doesn't matter. The photos that I've printed though with the cheaper ink (I buy online) have looked good enough for me.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM

I just received this from a British Internet friend on how to save on Printer Ink.

Behold:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQ1F...1&feature=fvwp
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 PM

I bake bread and grind up the ends for breadcrumbs. We use cloth napkins, and use ripped up T-shirts for cleaning rags. We also use vinegar for most cleaning jobs - it works better than expensive window cleaner and gets the tub and tile sparkly clean with little effort. I read books online from all the free sites - these are usually older books but I never had the time to read them when they were new. No cable tv, nothing on there that I can truthfully say I miss, and, since I retired, we sold our second car and actually enjoy doing errands together!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM

When my babies were babies I would make my own baby food. Just make a little extra of what we were eating, throw it in the food processer, pour it into icecube trays and freeze. I would use ziplock bags and just grab a cube of veggies and a cube of meat. I would ask for half a cup of hot water when we went out or over to a friends house, drop in the the two bags and instant hot babyfood, and I knew exactly what was in it. I also used cloth diapers. And I still have them and use them for cleaning, dusting, instead of paper towels.
These days I like to barter my sewing/quilting talents for other things like haircuts.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM

I clean a lot with a mix of vinegar/water/dish soap. Works for cleaning counter tops, sinks, mirrors, you name it. I use sheets of newspaper instead of paper towels to clean the mirrors and windows (on the rare, rare occasion that I clean the windows).

I look for the cheap cuts of meat, freeze them, and then figure out how to cook them if it's not a cut I'm familiar with.

I don't go cheap on shoes - I like good shoes, my feet are picky. I like good sweaters, too, cotton or wool, and I'll spend the money for them.

I haven't bought new jeans in probably five years, get all mine secondhand (and most as good as new). I let my husband cut my son's hair, and I cut my daughter's bangs.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM

When I make a tie-blanket or anything out of fleece, I save the selvages...braid them.... and make a "rope" for our dog.

They are great...clean their teeth, last a long time, don't hurt your hands and don't leave little strings around like the ones from the store....and they are his favorites.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 AM

[quote=joan_quilts]Make my own pizza. The kids tell me about a dinner they go out for like at Olive Garden. I look up the recipe and make it for less that it costs one person to eat there and I can feed 5! LOL]

My DD (10) gets excited on the rare occassion we go out to eat, but then always complains later,,,"It wasn't as good as yours Mom"!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey
I started canning again this year. I used to, years ago, can everything. It is so gratifying to make a meal from the results of your garden or hunt. Our freezer is full of deer and fish. I have a question for ya'll, though. I have a ceramic cooktop which you are not supposed to can on. Has anyone ever canned outside on their BBQ pit?
Not on the BBQ grill, but now I do regularly can on my DH's fish cooker/turkey fryer---boy does that thing get hot fast!!!!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 AM

I use every bit of a bar of soap. When it is wet I put the sliver on to the new bar. It sticks and that way I use all the soap. I also wash zip lock bags and reuse them. My daughters think I am crazy!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:03 AM

OK, so far I haven't seen this one (if I missed it please forgive me!). My DD and I wear home-sewn dresses, and buttons are outrageously price, especially for how many we go through. Our local thrift store sells "button jars", and I will buy one or two (total cost usually around $1.50 a jar), and go through them for sets of gently used, nice looking buttons. I've never had a jar give me less then 6 sets, and if you average out the cost of buying brand new buttons for 6 dresses that is a considerable savings.