Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing smell from charms >

Removing smell from charms

Removing smell from charms

Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
Try this....lay them on a cookie sheet , they can overlap. Put them in the freezer for 3 days, check for smell, they should be good. I have heard this used for books as well.
I guess I will need to really evaluate when I want to post suggestions in the future.
Why? Yours was the first suggestion that I did! I posted earlier that it worked! So Thanks! You did good! Keep the advice coming
Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Same thing happened to me recently. I didn't really want to wash my fabric either, as they were all scraps. My dear neighbor, a retired chemist, explained that after cigarette smoke falls once it has risen in the air - when it comes into contact with fibers it becomes a goo like substance that is difficult to remove. An acid based product like lemon or white vinegar can be added to the laundry soap. Unfortunately, washing in the washing machine is best.

I put all my scraps into two different pillowcases, and once the washer was full of water and laundry soap, I added 1 cup of white vinegar and one cup of baking soda. The soda is not necessary, but is a neutralizer and does not hurt. I don't have a gentle cycle, so used Perm Press. Still, at the end, I had SUCH a huge wad of knotted up fabric, that it took me FIVE hours to detangle, cut threads and iron these scraps.

The person posting these scraps for sale did not mention any smokers, and in my excitement of finding something I wanted, I forgot to ask. :cry: Well, I've since learned my lesson, too. The good news is all the smell DID come out and my scraps now seem to be fine. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 PM

If u have a candle that is scented put fabric in zip lock bag with candle seal and let set 3-4 days that should help.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM

I had a really dear friend who was very prolific in making quilt tops. Then she would send them to her 100 yr old mother to quilt them. (that info. is really beside the point, but) When my friend passed, her DIL took a lot of her quilt tops and finished squares to her home. She called me one day and asked if I would be interested in buying some of the blocks. I went to her home and it absolutely reeked!! I did buy a whole quilt worth of Sunbonnet Sue and a Whole double wedding ring. They too reeked. I took them home and put several fabric softener sheets in with them and left them for a while. I would check them every so often and the smell finally left them. I also bought a pair of cowboy boots off e-bay and they reeked of smoke. I put fabric softner sheets inside the boots and finally the smell dissapated. I can now wear the boots with smelling the smoke.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Ugh. Febreeze and sun.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
I bought some recently charms online and when I opened them up the smell of smoke recently filled the air :(
Learned my lesson to ask before I buy :)

I REALLY REALLY don't want to wash these. Being only 5 inches I don't want to loose a bunch of fabric by having them unravel.

So any suggestions. Anything that I can stick in with them to remove the smell? I was thinking about sticking them into a big ziplock with the baking soda pack you can buy for the fridge? I LOVE the charms! Just not the smell :) Thanks!
Try spraying them with some frebreeze until you get them sewn into a project and can wash them. That should help the way they smell.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 AM

At my little quilt group we had a birthday swap, and when I got my little bag I was so excited !!
Well, when I got home and went to open my gifts, oh my goodness what a smell - it was awful, even my DH said "where have you been tonight" LOL
Well, one of my gifts was a homemade tapestry pin cushion- which was sweet - but that was the culprit. In turn that had made everything else smell. The fat quater was washed and I undid or used other items and left them with an oust room spray, sprayed on them a couple of times. That worked - but the pin cushion sadly hit it's demise in the dustbin - just couldn't save it.
Hope the freezer worked and thanks fot the tips !!
I love it here !!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 AM

I quess some peolpe don't realize how much the smell gets into things....my friend smokes and when I ride in her car with her...I get out and even my hair smells....let alone my clothes. I can't stand it! I have to take a shower immediately when I get home. I take my own car now and meet her whereever we are going. I hear that Febreeze is wonderful....I shuld buy my friend some! Good luck with your quilt!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Perfume is just as bad, if not worse, that smoke. I have bought stuff on ebay and it reeked when I got it. I was never able to get the smell out of two blouses I just loved. People who wear perfume or smoke often don't realize how the odor affects others.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laura22
Ugh, that is the worst smell to have on fiber products, I can't understand why people sell things that stink without mentioning it online.
It is because they don't realize it smells. I don't smoke but was around it all my life until my late husband had to give it up. After not being around it I could tell if someone came near me had smoked. Back when you could smoke in the office one of my co-works smoked & I could not answer her phone without gagging.