Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met..................... >

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Favorite F*A*M*O*U*S Person you have met.....................

Old 02-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Famous people I have met, or known are from Abilene, Ks. They are Steve Doocy and Ted Powers. I have also met David and Julie Eisenhower when they were there writing a book in the 70's. We lived there from 1976 to 1990. Were good friends of the Doocy family, our kids and theirs went to school and worked together at the Sirloin Stockade there, during high school. Ted Powere who played for the Cincinnati Reds, and KC Royals, and another team or two, was a nice person whose mother Theda was the middle school secretary. Both families were great people. Also Ty England, Garth's bandmember and Garth's manager Pam Lewis. She lived next door to my aunt and uncle in Nashville. She sent me tickets to Garth's concerts in Tulsa. I have found famous people are just like us. Usually down to earth and very nice.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

I've really enjoyed reading this thread!! It's funny, I always have in my mind that famous people are probably self-centered jerks (and a lot probably are) but so many of them are just nice people like us who are more well known than we are lol :D:D
If anyone tells me they got an autographed baseball from any of the New York Yankees I'm really going to get upset hahahahahahaha :D:D:D
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Mohammod Ali at the Atlanta Airport. I was excited and the kids were little. Got pics of them with him. They had no clue what was going on or who he was. Now that they are grown they area proud of the pics they have and show them off to their friends!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM

Got to hug a take pics with Englebert Humperdink some years ago!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM

When I was about 5 a cousin of mine won a contest to have Clarabelle the clown from the Howdy Duddy show come to her birthday party. I was the youngest person there and so wanted him to squirt me with seltzer water but he didn’t. That was a big disappointment that I haven’t recovered from to this day. :)

Jay Rockefeller IV - he served as a Vista volunteer to a small town in our area. In the fall of my senior year the town dedicated a park to Mr. Rockefeller’s father. The school band performed (I played clarinet) and met both Jay and his daddy. When I was a senior in high school I was a page for the WV state legislature for the day (our driver’s ed teacher also served in the legislature). It happened to be payday and I was one of the pages handing out the checks to the various legislators - As a memento we received a certificate stating that we had served as a page and Mr. Goodwin (the teacher) had me to get the autograph of any of the legislators to whom I handed paychecks, one of them being Mr. Rockefeller who is now the senior Senator from WV. We met him again several years later when he was serving as Governor and he and Mrs. Rockefeller opened the Governors Mansion for Christmas.

I also met Governor and Mrs. Arch Moore at their Christmas open house. My family didn’t agree with Governor Moore’s politics and the entire time we were going through the house I was telling our 10 year old daughter that she was to be polite to him because he was our governor. I could just see her going up to them saying “My mom thinks you’re a crook”. She was the first to meet Mrs. Moore, introduced herself and told her how beautiful the mansion was. Mrs. Moore was very impressed and had her go over and speak to the Governor who was standing about 10 feet away. My husband and I stood with Mrs. Moore worrying the entire time what our daughter was saying but she obviously remembered her manners because both of the Moores were impressed at her self confidence at such a young age.

The band, Coyote Run, a celtic rock group from Williamsburg, VA who is gaining a big name within the celtic rock circuit. A great band and very gracious people - if they ever come to your area don’t miss the show!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM

David Paymer was just at my window (at work) a few weeks ago, my cousin is Jerry West, my dad and him played basketball together all the time as kids, mycousins play bluegrass in WV The Anderson Family....my moms cousin is Carroll Baker and I am a Hatfieild.

I have met Micheal Bolton, Eddie Money, Barbara Billingsly and the dogs from Beverly Hills Chihuahua (sp) and Transformers....my neighbors friends trains "actor animals"and Eleanor Burns.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 PM

i worked for a catering co in orlando, and was working the ocala (fl) breeder sales... went to work a dinner party by myself (small 20-30 people) & jack klugman came out of the house & told me i shouldn't carry all that stuff by myself.. so he unloaded & reloaded my van that night, plus gave me a huge tip..so nice & down to earth..

same job, working a grand slam tennis event... chrissy everett, what a b#@$%... martina navratolova (sp?) was so nice. we were chatting & i mentioned that my father was an avid tennis player, so she got me a program & got everyone of the players there autograph (except the b$#$$) i sent it to my dad for either his birthday or father's day... he still has it...

i met roger cook (this old house) several years ago @ the boston flower show... got a photo with him & chatted about gardening for 15-20 min.. really nice man
Old 02-28-2011, 07:53 PM

I met Rod Serling (hosted the Twilight Zone) on a cruise ship one time, he was just a little guy. One of my co-workers and her husband worked for Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. She said they were a wild bunch. Our neighbors cousin was Butch from the Munsters, he was a conceited little jerk, I hope he grew up OK. Dondi Ho, Don Ho's daughter, used to have a fabric shop in Kapaa, Kauai, where she designed her own fabric line. She mostly made Hawaiian wedding dresses out of her beautiful flowered fabrics.

Speaking of down-to-earth people, we got to see Willie Nelson at our County fair one year. Everyone could tell how much he loved being up there on the stage playing. I am sure he went way past his time limit, he and the band were just having so much fun. One of his nieces played the piano all night. I will never forget it.

Thanks for the stories, everyone, what an interesting bunch of people you all are!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
We met the Texas Tenors on a cruise. Great guys. Have a photo of me with Marcus. If you haven't seen these guys, it is worth the time to YouTube them.
They are coming to Columbia SC May 12. The box office people said I was the first to buy tickets.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I've really enjoyed reading this thread!! It's funny, I always have in my mind that famous people are probably self-centered jerks (and a lot probably are) but so many of them are just nice people like us who are more well known than we are lol :D:D
If anyone tells me they got an autographed baseball from any of the New York Yankees I'm really going to get upset hahahahahahaha :D:D:D
My dad was an National League Umpire . Sooo I know a few, my adopted parents were Pat and Dizzie Dean. Yes, I have several of the oldies New York Yankees autograhed balls plus other teams too. My family were into sports, golf my half-brother cousin to Curtis Strange.