Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE! >

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Walmart is selling fabrics ONLINE!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by momcpo
One step closer to putting your LQS out of business. I know it's tight out there and the prices just keep going up and up and up. Just be careful.
So am I suppose to not quilt because I cannot afford fabric at the LQS? Thank goodness I have many quilts that were made with "lessor quality", aka flour, feed sacks.
There are many cities that do not have a LQS. I have only found 2 or 3 in our travels. Plus my daughter visited one on her travels and she was told that handquilting was very old fashioned and NOONE did that anymore. Hello, from the replies on this board, I think many do.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I can't believe it! They really are selling fabrics online. So far they have 2yd precuts, lots of kits for aprons, baby quilts, soft baby books, precut yo-yos and more. They even have fleece and some cotton pieces in 60"-1 1/2 yd cuts. Check it out...put crafts in the Walmart search bar!
You just HAD to tell me that. lol checking it out now.bye.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cinnya
Originally Posted by dottientx
I like nice fabric but I'm not a fabric snob. I've gotten some fantastic fabs from Walmart's stacks of all sorts of fabric. A lot is not something I would carry out of the store but I've found some great buys there. To me it's worth the time to graze through all Walmart's fabrics. You never know what you'll find. I've also found some worthless fabs at the LQSs which are far from worth the prices they are asking. Like I say, you never know what you'll find. I'm so pleased to see our local Wally World is restocking their fabrics and will be doing a major re-do of the store in June - or so I hear!
Amen Sister.I made quilts with walmart fabric 12 years ago, and they are still around and being used.
Why do I have the feeling that if I use Walmart fabric I become less of a quilter in some eyes ?????????????
Many of my quilts are made with absolutely lovely WalMart fabric. Stop letting snobs make you feel less of anything!
I drive Fords; one of my acquaintances won't drive anything but Cadillacs. Both of us get to the same places at about the same time. Your WalMart fabric quilts will be just as lovely, will keep people just as warm and will last as long as the ones you make from more expensive fabric.

And so will the ones you make from cotton/polyester blends! Been there, done that and have the quilts a quarter century later after they've been washed in the top loader and dried in the hot drier dozens of times.
froggyintexas
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I can't believe it! They really are selling fabrics online. So far they have 2yd precuts, lots of kits for aprons, baby quilts, soft baby books, precut yo-yos and more. They even have fleece and some cotton pieces in 60"-1 1/2 yd cuts. Check it out...put crafts in the Walmart search bar!
cool site. but i will check out wally world whenb I am there tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 PM

they say you get what you pay for, but a lot of times I have been gypped by the lqs. Walmart here used to have very good fabric and a nice selection too. I am sorry to say that when I have to spend 9 or 10 a yd it will stay in the store. And my quilts look just as good as the next ones.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 PM

when i first started to quilt, I didn't know anything about fabric,but I loved to quilt. So I read and learned,made more mistakes and learned some more.
Now I like to believe I know a little more :-D I buy fabric from Walmart and online and yes even the LQS. If I like the fabric I don't care who sells it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Swap Hosts

All this talk about Walmart gave me the itch to go tonight. I spent $160 and got yards and yards of 100% good quality cotton fabric. That sum included a bag of cotton batting and a bolt of tear away stabilizer ($1.47/yd for 15 yards). There was plenty of VIP Cranston and other known names available and it was every bit as good as Joann's. I go there every few weeks and look at the sale bolts and never pay more than $2-3 yard. Some will be used for quilting, but I make and sell aprons and there are lovely matching sets that will be perfect for bright summertime designs -- and the price is right for resale. They had a wide variety of muslin in different weights. I picked up a couple of yards to use for a crazy quilt. All in all, I am happy. I'm not putting a LQS out of business because we don't have any and since I am a coupon fanatic, I will never ever pay LQS prices. Never. I do buy fabric online from quilter's paradise and Elkabee and pay higher prices for specialty fabric there, but nothing like LQS prices.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
All this talk about Walmart gave me the itch to go tonight. I spent $160 and got yards and yards of 100% good quality cotton fabric. That sum included a bag of cotton batting and a bolt of tear away stabilizer ($1.47/yd for 15 yards). There was plenty of VIP Cranston and other known names available and it was every bit as good as Joann's. I go there every few weeks and look at the sale bolts and never pay more than $2-3 yard. Some will be used for quilting, but I make and sell aprons and there are lovely matching sets that will be perfect for bright summertime designs -- and the price is right for resale. They had a wide variety of muslin in different weights. I picked up a couple of yards to use for a crazy quilt. All in all, I am happy. I'm not putting a LQS out of business because we don't have any and since I am a coupon fanatic, I will never ever pay LQS prices. Never. I do buy fabric online from quilter's paradise and Elkabee and pay higher prices for specialty fabric there, but nothing like LQS prices.
:thumbup: Good for you... :-D :-D
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
trouble is, from the precuts and kits I have seen in the stores, I would not waste my money on buying these online....especially since you can not touch them and see just how really BAD they are..
I agree with you! Seems kind of pricey and they were out of stock on the nice one's......I will keep looking or hit the stores that are selling it still.
PS I heard that they are going to start selling guns again. Trying to draw the male shopper in again.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Swap Hosts

The guns will never come back to New York, unfortunately. Not as long as Carolyn McCarthy can still take a breath.