Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military? >

Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Do you have family or friends that are or were in the military?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:27 AM

My father was in the Air Force Korean War, My husband was in the Air Force, Viet Nam war, I was in the Navy at the end of Viet Nam war, My daughter was in the Air Force during the 1990's during peace time, she got out in 2000. Youngest son is currently in the Navy, right now stationed on the U.S.Enterprise currently on its way home from its last cruise.
My oldest son is not tall enough and has kidney disease. So he is not able to serve.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn
My father was in the Air Force Korean War, My husband was in the Air Force, Viet Nam war, I was in the Navy at the end of Viet Nam war, My daughter was in the Air Force during the 1990's during peace time, she got out in 2000. Youngest son is currently in the Navy, right now stationed on the U.S.Enterprise currently on its way home from its last cruise.
My oldest son is not tall enough and has kidney disease. So he is not able to serve.
LOL
My youngest, who's on the USS Ronald Regan tells me "Mom, it's not a cruise. it's a deployment." And if I sak him something I'm not supposed to know? "I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya."
Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

My son is coming home this coming Friday.He told me where they were by telling that the Pirates that invade Tampa on Gasparilla Days, were the pirates that were not the hostage takers of people but the City of Tampa. If I understood his reference to taking hostage , I figured they were in the area where the people had been taken hostage by pirates in the area of Somalia.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Me, dad, brother, uncles, granddad, heck our family is either military or ministers.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM

My dad was in the air corp in Great Britain - my mom is a British was bride! She ame over with their baby whenhe was nine months old. Dad was already here trying to find a home for them. It took the military over a year to get the war brides here.

Both my brothers were in the Air Force during Viet Nam era.

Oldest son was in army - during desert Storm.

The military and what they do for us is something I want to remember daily. I make as many quilts, etc., as possible for them. My heart aches when I hear another soldier has been killed or injured.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Husband was in for 20 years we enjoy it moving and seeing the world the only thing was being separated the children enjoy it to I miss the people we meet trying to keep in contact with them it is hard.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM

I had one brother in the Army, one in the Navy, one in the Marines, I joined the Air Force, ex husband was Air force also. I have some friends who are still serving.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM

My husband was in the Air Force for 25 years; my father volunteered for the Army in WWII even though he was in his late 30s; my great uncle was in WWI and suffered from mustard gas all his life, and my great-great grandfather was a Major in the Civil War. I have a grandson now in the Navy, lately on the USS Carl Vinson. My first husband was in the Air Force and was killed in a plane crash in Alaska. I loved the military life back then, even though we lost friends in Viet Nam. I never knew any other married life until we retired. I thnk it is different now.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM

PatriciaAnn: My sentiments exactly. We were in the Middle East for 6 years and it gave a whole new perspective of the world to our children.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

My daughter's fiance deployed to Afghanistan this past March. He is supposed to have a two-week leave in November and we can't wait too see him. Technology with communication has made a such a difference from what it was years ago, when no one knew how a loved one was doing or what was going on. It's still a huge sacrifice to be apart, but not nearly as stressful as what so many went though years ago. Bless all those who serve and have served!