Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

In your eyes, is it polite, when someone is decked out in their military or police attire in public (ie in a restaurant), to quickly thank them for their service? Or would you rather not be bothered?

Blog Entries
    Excellent post. I think it would be appreciated.

I do it for service people very often. I don't linger, just a quick 'thank you for your service to our great country'. No one has ever appeared bothered by it.

Blog Entries
    I think it depends on the person. I have one brother who loves people and isn't shy by any standards, and loves to talk to people.
    Other brother was more on the shy side, son slightly reserved but would and will talk to anyone who is polite. Daughter who is a guard in a Texas jail is chatty, but tends to be suspicious of overly friendly strangers.

Just be courteous and polite, cheerful, say what you have to say and then back off. If he/she is in a good mood (and you have no idea of what horrors they have seen recently) he/she will be glad to talk to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I do it for service people very often. I don't linger, just a quick 'thank you for your service to our great country'. No one has ever appeared bothered by it.
    --------------------------------------------
    In the Ft.Worth/Dallas air port, I saw a young serviceman look longingly into a cafe window and then glance into his wallet, then walk away. So I bought two sandwiches, and more candy and soda than I wanted and asked if he would share it with me. Turns out he was headed to the same base I was, my SIL was stationed there. Nice young man, away from home for the first time. Very polite he was, sweet mannered. And hungry, all late teens and early 20s are always hungry. After raising teenagers that much I knew. That was little enough to give him, considering what he might have to give for us.

Bless you for showing kindness to this young man. You made a difference in his life, if only for a short time. Kindness is never wasted.

As the mom of a police deputy, I always thank them. As well as our military. If I can't get right up to them, I just give them the thumbs up. I'm from the Vietnam era and our military really got a bum deal. So I want to make sure that our young men and woman who are fighting for us know that they are appreciated. As for the police, they get too much negativity. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how bad the cops are because they pulled me over and gave me a ticket. Well, if you weren't speeding, you wouldn't have been pulled over and that officer might be out catching other bad guys. Ok, I've vented. That's a touchy subject to me.

I'm totally there with ya klgreene...my brother is a cop and one of his fellow police officers was killed this week, so it's been on my mind a lot lately how much they do for me and how little people do for them...

Banned
    i am an ex sailor a 9 year vet. Yes service members like to know they are appreciated. Most will talk to you but some are very reserved depends on what they have seen and how long they have been doing that. I woudl say come say hi and then go aobut yoru business and if they want to talk they will. Just mho.

YES PLEASE acknowledge them they need it!!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    In the Ft.Worth/Dallas air port, I saw a young serviceman look longingly into a cafe window and then glance into his wallet, then walk away. So I bought two sandwiches, and more candy and soda than I wanted and asked if he would share it with me. Turns out he was headed to the same base I was, my SIL was stationed there. Nice young man, away from home for the first time. Very polite he was, sweet mannered. And hungry, all late teens and early 20s are always hungry. After raising teenagers that much I knew. That was little enough to give him, considering what he might have to give for us.
    This made my nose sting and my eyes water. How precious of you to bless that young man. Was he headed to Killeen? Not the nicest/prettiest base in the country.

Jan in VA (formerly Ft. Worth and Austin)

DH and I were having dinner at a nice restaurant (rare for us) because someone gave us a Gift Card. After our meal, there was money left on the card. A young man in uniform (OMG they all look so young) and his female companion were dining there. As we went by, I thanked him for his service and gave him the gift card so they could use the remaining money on it. It made me feel so good; I'm also from the VietNam era and know what my friends went through so I always try to acknowledge service men and women when I can.

It's never wrong to just smile or say "Thank you for your service". Whether I get a reply or not, I feel better!

Please acknowledge them. Another thing that would be really nice is if you see some in uniform traveling, many times they don't have the cash to get something to eat. My daughter felt so loved and blessed when someone bought her a lunch on one of her flights back home from Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Please acknowledge them. Another thing that would be really nice is if you see some in uniform traveling, many times they don't have the cash to get something to eat. My daughter felt so loved and blessed when someone bought her a lunch on one of her flights back home from Iraq.
    Wow, never knew that !! Have seen in the past our YM & W in the airports, but would have never thought of this, will have to change my out look when traveling. Share snacks, or buy someone lunch next time. How many of us have been heldover on a flight, makes you wonder why they are not given vouchers for food with travel since so many airlines no longer offer food or snacks inflight.

when I went out in uniform I was happy to hear that. For I know many men and women who have heard bad things. I thank the people and move along with a smile on my face.

Now I often meet friends at the Atlanta Airport, I often see military and I often see others buying them lunch or a drink. I will also do that. And I thank them for serving.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I am an officer. I think this is a good response. Thank you and don't linger. Usually, we only have certain time to order and eat, that's if we don't get a call and have to run out.

Good question.

Kyia

Thanks everyone for your input! You all rock! And to those service men and women, past and present THANK YOU!

I thank them and shake their hand.

Blog Entries
    This made my nose sting and my eyes water. How precious of you to bless that young man. Was he headed to Killeen? Not the nicest/prettiest base in the country. Jan in VA (formerly Ft. Worth and Austin)[/quote]
    --------------------------------------------------
    Yes, Killeen, right outside Ft. Hood. SIL took me to see the famous statue of the kneeling soldier with the little Iraqi girl patting his shoulder. I'd heard of it for a long time on the Internet. SIL was quietly reading some of the names of those lost from his unit, must have known lots of them in his two tours of Sandbox Iraq. He did seem to have to wipe his eyes often..that 6'5 top Sarge. Probably the wind making his eyes water.

We have a starbucks that most of our police seem to congregate there. I love to go behind them and swipe my card so they can have a drink on me. They are hard working and so deserve this gratitude!! I have know others who have given up their first class seats to let these men and women fly home in style. We take gift baskets to our fire stations we have 3 in a 5 mile radius. We take all the makings of banana splits to them about once a quarter. They love it. One other thing is if you have returning troops they LOVE Krispy Kreme doughnuts at their arrival we are going to bring 20 dozen to the next return ceramony we receved a call from one of the men it was all he asked for really how could we say no!

Blog Entries
    when my youngest son graduated from training at Great Lakes Naval in July we took him out for the day...in the resturant a number of patrons approached our table, thanked him for his service and shook our hands...at first my son was a little uncomfortable, but pretty soon he decided it was pretty cool to know so many people do appreciate the sacrifices that families make. as the day went on, we were at 6-flags amusement park,even young men walked up to him and shook his hand! it was AWESOME! the whole day i thought about how things have changed. being a teenager during the end of Viet Nam i so remember my uncle's returning home to have people spit on them, throw things at them and say horrible things...and the 3 of them never wanted to be there...they were there because they were drafted and sent...doing what they were told for a country that did not care...at least now more people do recognize the sacrifices. when my son decided to join the service he did not make the decision lightly...
    i am just so very happy that i do not feel the need to worry about him being out in public...he's not treated poorly for his service like was the norm 35 years ago

MCH
    Whenever I can, I always extend my hand to a soldier in uniform and say a heart-felt "thank you". Many times, they're grateful to be acknowledged, and frequently they're taken a bit off guard. Then, they smile a huge smile and say, "You're welcome, ma'am!" Some will add, "No problem!"

One of my sons was recently playing golf with a group of friends. Within the group was a gentelman who my son said was about my and his Dad's age. My son learned that the gentleman was a Viet Nam vet. Immediately, my son stopped his game and extended his hand in thanks to the surprised veteran.

"Both my grandfathers were in World War 2 and my parents taught me to always say thank you and shake a verteran's hand. Thank you for your service, Sir." I guess the guy was totally blown away by my son's action. The kid may be 41 years old, but he learned well at his parents' knees. Made this mom proud.

Recently, my husband (not a verteran, but the son of WWII B-17 pilot and one who has deep reverence for the military) put an ad on Craig's list, selling some of our season tickets for San Jose Sharks hockey home games.

A young woman from San Diego contacted him, wanting to purchase a pair of tix for her boyfriend's birthday. He is in the military, from the SF Bay Area, is a Sharks fan, and is scheduled to be home at the time of a particular game.

Well, he sold her the tix...but wanted to add something of a "Thank you for your service and sacrifice." My husband bought a $25 MasterCard gift card and enclosed a note with the tickets, thanking the young man.

He told the soldier to have a "beer and hot dog" on him and to enjoy the game.

I thought that was very kind and sweet. My husband's eyes were a bit moist as he was writing the note.

You see, when my husband was a youngster, his dream was to attend the Air Force Academy. When he was in jr. high school he developed a pysical condition that permanently kept him from military service. He has tremendous respect and empathy for soldiers.

Remember, it's the soldier that protects our freedom...not the politician.

Blog Entries
    I am not a shy person and I am also a hugger. I approach any serviceman ,,,thank them for their service and ask them if I can give them a hug. I have never had anyone say no.

I am a little grandmotherly type person so maybe that is why they are comfrotable with a little hug.

They always walk away with a smile. (~.~)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovequilts
    In your eyes, is it polite, when someone is decked out in their military or police attire in public (ie in a restaurant), to quickly thank them for their service? Or would you rather not be bothered?
    my son has been thanked alot, and it makes him feel great, that someone actually cares enough to take the time to say thanks!

we said thanks to a couple in a restaurant..and the guy said, thanks but "i haven't been deployed".

You signed up, you serve, you sacrifice..Thank you

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast