Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public >

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 PM

We have a starbucks that most of our police seem to congregate there. I love to go behind them and swipe my card so they can have a drink on me. They are hard working and so deserve this gratitude!! I have know others who have given up their first class seats to let these men and women fly home in style. We take gift baskets to our fire stations we have 3 in a 5 mile radius. We take all the makings of banana splits to them about once a quarter. They love it. One other thing is if you have returning troops they LOVE Krispy Kreme doughnuts at their arrival we are going to bring 20 dozen to the next return ceramony we receved a call from one of the men it was all he asked for really how could we say no!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

when my youngest son graduated from training at Great Lakes Naval in July we took him out for the day...in the resturant a number of patrons approached our table, thanked him for his service and shook our hands...at first my son was a little uncomfortable, but pretty soon he decided it was pretty cool to know so many people do appreciate the sacrifices that families make. as the day went on, we were at 6-flags amusement park,even young men walked up to him and shook his hand! it was AWESOME! the whole day i thought about how things have changed. being a teenager during the end of Viet Nam i so remember my uncle's returning home to have people spit on them, throw things at them and say horrible things...and the 3 of them never wanted to be there...they were there because they were drafted and sent...doing what they were told for a country that did not care...at least now more people do recognize the sacrifices. when my son decided to join the service he did not make the decision lightly...
i am just so very happy that i do not feel the need to worry about him being out in public...he's not treated poorly for his service like was the norm 35 years ago
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
MCH

Whenever I can, I always extend my hand to a soldier in uniform and say a heart-felt "thank you". Many times, they're grateful to be acknowledged, and frequently they're taken a bit off guard. Then, they smile a huge smile and say, "You're welcome, ma'am!" Some will add, "No problem!"

One of my sons was recently playing golf with a group of friends. Within the group was a gentelman who my son said was about my and his Dad's age. My son learned that the gentleman was a Viet Nam vet. Immediately, my son stopped his game and extended his hand in thanks to the surprised veteran.

"Both my grandfathers were in World War 2 and my parents taught me to always say thank you and shake a verteran's hand. Thank you for your service, Sir." I guess the guy was totally blown away by my son's action. The kid may be 41 years old, but he learned well at his parents' knees. Made this mom proud.

Recently, my husband (not a verteran, but the son of WWII B-17 pilot and one who has deep reverence for the military) put an ad on Craig's list, selling some of our season tickets for San Jose Sharks hockey home games.

A young woman from San Diego contacted him, wanting to purchase a pair of tix for her boyfriend's birthday. He is in the military, from the SF Bay Area, is a Sharks fan, and is scheduled to be home at the time of a particular game.

Well, he sold her the tix...but wanted to add something of a "Thank you for your service and sacrifice." My husband bought a $25 MasterCard gift card and enclosed a note with the tickets, thanking the young man.

He told the soldier to have a "beer and hot dog" on him and to enjoy the game.

I thought that was very kind and sweet. My husband's eyes were a bit moist as he was writing the note.

You see, when my husband was a youngster, his dream was to attend the Air Force Academy. When he was in jr. high school he developed a pysical condition that permanently kept him from military service. He has tremendous respect and empathy for soldiers.

Remember, it's the soldier that protects our freedom...not the politician.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM

I am not a shy person and I am also a hugger. I approach any serviceman ,,,thank them for their service and ask them if I can give them a hug. I have never had anyone say no.

I am a little grandmotherly type person so maybe that is why they are comfrotable with a little hug.

They always walk away with a smile. (~.~)
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
In your eyes, is it polite, when someone is decked out in their military or police attire in public (ie in a restaurant), to quickly thank them for their service? Or would you rather not be bothered?
my son has been thanked alot, and it makes him feel great, that someone actually cares enough to take the time to say thanks!

we said thanks to a couple in a restaurant..and the guy said, thanks but "i haven't been deployed".

You signed up, you serve, you sacrifice..Thank you
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 AM

absolutely! my daughter and son-in-law were in a local restaurant
(we treated them,we weren't there) for their anniversary. He was dressed in his army dress uniform and she was all dolled up. A gentleman came over to their table and thanked my son-in-law and told them that their dinner was on him. They had no idea who he was and were just overwhelmed. I guess this is the southern way.
I have never seen anyone up north say "Thank you" to any serviceman and we have been in many airports.
ceegee
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 AM

absolutely! my daughter and son-in-law were in a local restaurant
(we treated them,we weren't there) for their anniversary. He was dressed in his army dress uniform and she was all dolled up. A gentleman came over to their table and thanked my son-in-law and told them that their dinner was on him. They had no idea who he was and were just overwhelmed. I guess this is the southern way.
I have never seen anyone up north say "Thank you" to any serviceman and we have been in many airports.
ceegee
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 AM

My husband and I are both retired Air Force and we always thank those who serve...regardless of which service. We also buy their breakfast/lunch as we leave the restaurant. It just some way to give back and let them know they are appreciated.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM

My DH had one of the boys he mentors who is a Marine out for breakfast one morning. When DH went to pay the bill someone had already paid for it. We have no idea who that was.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:13 AM

Yall would be really surprised at how little money these kids have. It makes me want to cry.The military pays them almost nothing and sends them to AF.Our daughter was deployed to a FOB 18 mos. ago and is going back. She can't come for TG or CHristmas. I am an Army brat , Army wife and mother of a female soldier. Jami is lucky in that we know what the military is like. We can subsidize her with things she needs.The military doesn't provide products for basic female hygiene Like tampons or sani. pads.It is disgraceful. Now I am angry again. If you are able ,sponser a female soldier from your area .Maybe a child who went to school with your kids. They need our help. GOD bless and keep them safe.