Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public >

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

I try to often. Youngest son is here right now & is a policeman & also in Army reserves. He says he doesn't mind people coming up & thanking him but doesn't like it when they start trying to prolong the contact & start talking police work, etc
Originally Posted by KathyAire
I do it for service people very often. I don't linger, just a quick 'thank you for your service to our great country'. No one has ever appeared bothered by it.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:03 PM

I have one son at Fort Stewart and one at Fort Bragg (deployed twice and home both times). The first time someone in the Dallas airport bought the older one a meal, he couldn't wait to tell the younger one! I will pay for the meals of military whenever I see them in restaurants, with strict instructions to the waitstaff NOT to tell them. That's NOT why I do it. "From a thankful citizen" is all they need to know. They DON'T make much money, and I'm blessed to be able to afford to do this. Have a five you can afford to give them? Roll it up and give it to a young man or woman in uniform when you shake their hand. Pray for them and my boys. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Nothing wrong with a warm smile in passing or polite conversation. I quite like the warm smiles. They're contagious.

Just don't interrupt intimate situations with loved ones or embarrass by overdoing a gesture of kindness in public. It's not all about you and your gesture. It's about people who sacrifice for others. Real honest to goodness sacrifices. The stress can be tremendous and you may be there at its peak.

Send care packages to strangers via Soldiers' Angels, Cookies Direct, bakemeawish.com, etc. Donate money to local families of fallen police, fire, etc. There are many ways to say thank you without being that "close talker" (Seinfeld reference, see youtube) who will always be remembered.

For the love of Pete, most importantly, do not interrupt goodbyes. Do not interrupt goodbyes. Do not interrupt goodbyes. Repeat after me: "I, (your name here), solemnly swear to never interrupt a goodbye. It might be their last."
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Your right hand folded into a fist, and touched gently to your sternum (heart) is an acknowledged salute to our military in public without causing anyone embarassment
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM
JJs
Banned

Thank you in sign language is like blowing a kiss - bring the tips of the fingers of your right hand to your lips then hold your hand out - palm up.... 'thank you'...
you can also say thank you as you do it, or thank you for your service...

I also tell all Viet Nam vets "Welcome Home" when I see one with a hat on, or shirt, or emblem on the vehicle..

Mother of son - MP turned to the dark side - now a Chief warrant two, daughter - USAF security police, wife of VietNam vet, MP and other stuff....
Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM

My husband and I try to always pay for military personnel's meal. Some of those kids really need the help. Also, we try to pay for Cancer patients if they are in the same eating place. It is so nice for people to share. My daughter lives in Loveland, Co. and she is a 5 year survivor and everyone who met her during her chemo phase was so very nice and always was willing to buy her meals or pray for her.There are some really great people in this world!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Yes, yes I do thank military, fire and police personnel when I see them in public...a warm handshake and a thank you goes a long way! Since Bill and I are Patriot Guard Riders, we are frequently around present and past military men and women...I never hesitate to acknowledge their service for our country.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM

I watched a video sometime ago. It shows in a universal sign language how to say "thank you" to our 'heros'. I believe it goes something like this. Place your right hand on your heart, then pulling your hand away and down. Any one else out there seen thiis? I have used it a few times. I hope the person I am thanking knows what I am trying to say.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ceegee
I guess this is the southern way.
I have never seen anyone up north say "Thank you" to any serviceman and we have been in many airports.
ceegee
This offends me. Just because you haven't seen it "up north" doesn't mean it doesn't happen, because it does.

I live in Michigan and when my daughter (Air Force) is home, she gets thanked all the time.

When I was in Chicago on a layover, there was a young serviceman who was on his way home after a 1 year deployment. Many people stopped to thank him for his service to his country. I lent him my cell phone so he could call his wife and son to say hi and talk until the plane took off.

Sorry to vent.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:21 PM

My husband put in 32 years as a police officer and I put in 2 years. It makes you feel good to be thanked for what you do. I agree, no need to chit chat but just a simple thank you for protecting us. Two weeks ago I made a quilt for a VietNam vet who is permanently disabled. I am also of that era and remember the horrible treatment our soldiers received. We also say "Thank You For Serving" when we see military personnel.