Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public >

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 AM

The heroes we are talking about here are TRUE heroes...military, police, etc. But I had a very interesting thing happen about a year ago. I was talking to some people I didn't really know, and happened to mention that I was a retired teacher. One person said, "Thank you for your years of dedicated service." I was so astonished I almost fell over! So few people ever thank teachers. Of course we are not in it for the thanks, but it was a wonderful feeling to have someone acknowledge my service to children. So....thank someone today...your letter carrier, your crossing guard, a dentist. We all need to be thanked once in a while. It'll make your day.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 AM

I ALWAYS THANK THEM. DON'T CARE WHAT TYPE

PERSONALITY ONE IS, THESE FOLKS ARE PROTECTING OUR

FREEDOM AND TO PAUSE A MOMENT AND THANK THEM, IS

THE LEAST WE CAN DO. MANY OF THESE SERVICE PEOPLE

HAVE HAD SEVERAL TOURS OF DUTY, TOO MANY FOR ME. I

WOULD NEVER NOT DO THIS. IF THEY ARE AT A PLACE WHERE

YOU COULD GIVE THEM A FEW DOLLARS, THIS WOULD BE GREAT.

THOSE IN UNIFORM THAT ARE IN NATIONAL GUARD, AND HAVE

HAD TO LEAVE THEIR REGULAR JOBS, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE

HARDSHIPS THESE FAMILIES ARE GOING THROUGH?

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! FREEDON ISN'T FREE!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

Even though we are on social security, one of the main reasons I work is to be able to do for others. When in a restaurant having dinner (not too often), if we see a serviceman, we ask the waitress for his meal ticket. That is our way of saying Thank you for what you are doing. Also, at work at WalMart, I always take a moment to acknowledge how thankful I am to a serviceman or officer for their dedication and service.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 AM

Thank them.
It's never wrong to appreciate, and to let them know WE know something of what they are giving to us.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM

Ran over to hairdresser to get a quick trim. As I walked in I noticed a sign by the front desk stating that they gave military discounts. That was new. So I asked if the owner was busy. When she came out I thanked her for giving the discount and told her she would never know how very much it would be appreciated by many. I wish more businesses would do this. Most businesses around bases do this. But I think if they aren't around a military base that business owners don't realize how much this would be appreciated.

I am not military but I always ask if they give military discount. If they do I thank them and if they don't I suggest that they at least think about it. Military personnel carry ID so it isn't like they'd get scammed.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 AM

I am the widow of a police officer and the mother of two active duty military. My husband and I also serve in the Civil Air Patrol (Air Force Auxiliary.) It is appreciated by all of us when someone takes a moment to just say thank you. To Romona, a special thank you. Our enlisted military personnel, particularly the ones just starting out, don't hardly make enough money to live. Your kindness, and I have seen it frequently in my job (flight attendant,) I know goes a long way. A thank you is never out of order.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:10 PM

I think it should be!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
MCH

Thought maybe quilters would be interested in this vendor:

http://www.gwizpro.com/qww/index.php

They make everything for displaying quilts…and the best part is that the company is owned and operated by retired veterans who do woodworking. Additionally, they will provide a discount to military (active or retired) veterans. Isn’t that great?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I am the widow of a police officer and the mother of two active duty military.
May you be forever blessed...I can't even imagine how hard it would be to lose my brother who is a cop. Thank you for allowing your loved ones to risk their lives to help this country.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MCH
Thought maybe quilters would be interested in this vendor:

http://www.gwizpro.com/qww/index.php

They make everything for displaying quilts…and the best part is that the company is owned and operated by retired veterans who do woodworking. Additionally, they will provide a discount to military (active or retired) veterans. Isn’t that great?
Checked out that website. Of course, saw something that I really like. I know I will be ordering from them in the near future. Thanks for sharing that site with us.