Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public >

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Family of or Police/Military personnel...when you're in public

Old 10-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat
It's never wrong to just smile or say "Thank you for your service". Whether I get a reply or not, I feel better!
Yeah I try to atleast give them a smile. If I can talk to them I usually do. Never to busy for that. :thumbup:
Old 10-29-2010, 01:39 PM

I think it is just horrible that our service men and women have to use their own money for food when traveling & I have heard they have to pay for their own travel ticket. Everything they give to our country to keep us safe this is just shameful ,
Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think it's an infringement on someone's privacy to interrupt dinner just because they are wearing a uniform and would not find it appropriate. I find those kinds of displays generally awkward.
I do it all the time.
I am ex-Navy, my six brothers are all ex-Navy and ex-Air Force, my son is ex-Army, my daughter is ex-Air Force. All my ex-husbands were military too, and all our parents including the women were Service too.
There is no misunderstanding in this family of what recognition for military service means.
No reason to make a display of it, just walk by and say "Thank you so much" and everyone around knows exactly what you mean. Maybe shake a hand, maybe not.

Additionally, after the hurricanes ripped through here, Katrina and Rita, all the locals made a point of thanking all the energy service and phone service and cell service and police and fire and construction folks who came down here to recover us.

And I have never gotten anything but a smile and a nod or a "Thank you" in return.

Thank you is always correct.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
I am ex-Navy, my six brothers are all ex-Navy and ex-Air Force, my son is ex-Army, my daughter is ex-Air Force. All my ex-husbands were military too, and all our parents including the women were Service too.
Don't mean any disrespect, had to laugh at ex-husbands in that line of "ex's". It just tickled my funny bone.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Don't mean any disrespect, had to laugh at ex-husbands in that line of "ex's". It just tickled my funny bone.
:D :D :D :D
Old 10-29-2010, 08:43 PM

As the neice, sister, wife, mother, Aunt, Grandmother of military vets, I pledged to myself after 9/11 thst anytime I see a military or police officer in uniform I would quickly Thank them and tell them that I very greatly appreciaate their sercive to all of us and will continue to pray for their safety every day. I don't offer to shake handss with them unless I can obviously not akward for them. The Thank yous and warm smiles I have received,,,,oh my !
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM

TODAY my hubby shipped out (so he was in FULL gear). As we all walked through the airport Not one person said anything to us (It could have been because we were CRYING). I love it when someone thanks my hubby for his service and it means sooo much to my kids to hear it because it makes our sacrifice a little easier knowing that the people he is going to serve/protect (Americans) appreciate what we all go through. I had an older man come up to my kids a few weeks back and say "Thank you for YOUR service to our Country. I know its not easy lending us your Daddy!" I will NEVER forget that. My kids are 10 & 11 yrs old and I KNOW they were THRILLED to hear it.
As a military family we hear a TON of negative about the military, so anytime someone takes a moment to say Thank You it is VERY much appreciated.
PS please pray for my hubby. Thanks, Lisa
Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dettonlisas
TODAY my hubby shipped out (so he was in FULL gear).
PS please pray for my hubby. Thanks, Lisa
Praying for your hubby and you and your kids. Let him know that he has lots of grateful hearts here! And, thank you to you and your kids for letting him protect us. You will all be greatly blessed for your sacrifice.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Hi Judy, Service people only pay for their own travel if they are on personal leave. The Govt pays for ALL duty related travel. Each of them also get a food allowance each month in their checks. Did u know the bigest misconception is that they don't havee to pay taxes ! They do !saraaev
Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 PM

AMEN to that !!!!!!