Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you making for Christmas gifts >

What are you making for Christmas gifts

What are you making for Christmas gifts

Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Daisydoodle
Got hooked on making felt donuts this year, for pin cushions. Made 20 as thank yous for our Linus Project quilt group and really enjoyed decorating them. Another good find on the QB, so think I will make a few for my other sewing friends.
Very tempting! Can't beat their calorie count, huh? :lol: :lol:
Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Someone had posted a tut a week or two ago about making covers for books. If you used that you could make memory books.

I made memory books for my family members a few Christmases ago. Before I gave them to each family member I wrote in a few memories I cherished of them. The idea was that we could pass them around a have a written record of some of our favourite times together.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

I'm stealing a board members "Mason Jar Pincushion" idea for my quilt group gifts!! Just small things this year !!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 AM

OMG, those are sooooooooo cute!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 AM

patterns..... I need patterns.... or sites, anybody got good ones. Quilter 1234
Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM

I am not making anyone anything for christmas this year. however I hope to at least get my r/w bear paw quilted.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:43 AM

Shopping totes or hot pads
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I am doing 20 minute table runners and I saw a cute idea with a teacup and saucer set made into a pin cushion that has a small pair of scissors attached by a magnet to the side of the teacup. Decorative and practical!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by kimscruzer
The corn rice bags peak my interest . Can you tell me how to do those. My aunt has Rheumatoid Arthritis. I think she would love them.
http://www.microwavecornbags.com/pattern.htm

Most of mine are made in long rectangles, so they end up approximately 9x22 inches. I have a serger, so I serge both long ends and one short end together, fill with 3-4 cups deer/livestock corn (very cheap - I get 50 lb bags at Farm&Fleet for about $5), then serge the other end shut. I usually heat these about 2 minutes in the microwave, though especially the first few times, I stand there and make sure no corn starts popping.

I have also more recently made a few that were basically 10-12 inch squares - serged together on 3 sides again, then stitched three evenly-spaced lines to create 4 channels, filled with as much livestock corn as possible, then serged the final end shut. These I think can also go two minutes, but I haven't used them more than once - I made them to use up scraps and try something different, thinking they might be nicer for post-surgical pain, as the bag was more full.

I use muslin or thrifted sheets for the filled bags, then make envelope style covers for them out of flannel or quality cotton. These make great gifts, especially for people at work or at children's schools, where you don't want to spend a ton, but you want something useful. They're also great as part of a gift for family and friends. Tailoring the cover to the recipient can be fun! My mom requested a new cover last Christmas - she'd had the corn bag over a year. She got the new cover *and* the square-style corn bag. Everyone at work last year raved about the corn bags for several months afterward. ;)

And my sons can't stand to have their hands cold for walks, so after a second teary walk (they keep losing the really warm mittens, so have to make due with the not-so-warm, plus insist on carrying snow around, which melts and makes their hands cold!), I made small squares - probably 2.5-3 inch finished sides - and filled them as full as I could while still managing to stitch them shut. These were made out of flannel, and I used them in their pockets as handwarmers. They were only heated about 30 seconds. Worked great!

Hope that gives you some ideas!
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM

The microwave corn bags are great! Also give a try at "cherry pits" you can get them fairly cheap on ebay. What is nice with the cherry pits is the smell when you warm the bag. The corn sometimes can seem a little....musky to some people. I tried saving the pits myself when canning...LOL....not an easy task. Easier to buy them cleaned and sterilized.