Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 PM

We got that replacement at our local Walmarts also and it stinks!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:13 PM

I got the same letter. I also called 1-800-walmart and spoke with a very nice young man who blew the same smoke.

I wrote them a letter telling them how grateful I am to them for the remodel because it has encouraged me to seek other sources for the items I usually bought there. I got another form letter promising to look into my comments. The last report I had from Wall Street was that WalMart profits are down--they are certainly down in women's clothing, where, according to the Internet, inventories jumped over 10 percent as a result of the attempt to "upgrade" by carrying designer names most of us never heard of and didn't care about. Wonder who the genius was who thought that up? In any case, they couldn't sell it!

Last night, my daughter learned that WalMart will no longer handle the George brand of clothing that we have enjoyed so much over the years. That's another good reason to go to a store that keeps a reliable supply of the things we use.

froggyintexas
Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Ya, like the Dollar Store! I think we need to have every quilter send them an email letting them know we are out here. But the fabric probably would come from China and be cheap stuff, that I probably would not want to use in my quilts.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM

We have a new WalMart about to open in two weeks, and we have a large population of Hispanic's, & older people who are excited about it. Me, I am not going in there at all. I will support my local stores. They built this in a very small town with one street going one way and the other going the other way.East and West! There are no side streets to speak of so that town is going to be gridlocks forever till the newness wears down. I hate it. Also they are known to keep their prices low for 6 months to a year and then they start going up so you will be paying the same prices as the stores around you. Grrr!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM

I love the LQS shops that I frequent, but all of them are at least an hour away. Our closest JoAnns are also an hour away. The JoAnns and LQS stores closed before Wal-Mart came to town, and if ours stops carrying fabric, I will really miss it. I don't purchase much fabric for my "good" quilts there, but purchase fabric for other things often because, well, it's the closest place around. The less time on the road, the more time to sew with all the "good" fabric I buy elsewhere :)
Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I have worked for WalMart for 10 years. The last three years were in Fabrics and Crafts. Now, our fabric is gone. Although I can see Clair's point, I have to mention that not all of us can afford $8.99 to $12.99 a yard for material. I have purchased fabric at LQS that was not as good as some fabric at WalMart. I knew a lady that owned the LQS in the next town to us and was told by her that she purchased fabric at WalMart (by the bolt) and sold it in her store for $7.99 per yard. I also agree that "Celebration Center" is not going to last. I guess everything has its good points and bad ones.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

They did one better in the Province of Quebec, their employees got their accreditation to syndicate. They close the store. Lots of people boycott Walmart here and I' proud of being one of them. By the their is a 5 minutes walk from my house! The only thing that they understand is the net profit they make for every square foot of every store.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:28 PM

What they are actually going to do is package material. Can't imagine how that is going to work insofar as colors etc. This I got from an employee this morning. I am going to start going to Walmart just for food and the heck with the rest of it. They took all the fun out of going into their store.........
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Dollar Tree has all that stuff for $1.00. Go figure why WalMart would try to compete with that.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Dollar Tree has fabric?