Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-30-2010, 05:05 PM

It's all about the dollar for them, not concern about the customer...don't misunderstand I have bought my fair share of WM materials, they have done me and the LQS a huge favor! I buy lots nicer fabric and dont buy fabric on every trip to WM! Though I do think there are alot of people who were dependant on WM to provide affordable material in rural areas.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM

Got the same letter, I told them i have tons of places to buy fabric .But i usually spent $100 more when i went into WalMart buying other stuff. but now with no fabric . I very rarely go to walmart.yep they didn't really care send them all a form letter get them off or backs. :(
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM

I have a Walmart 5 miles south of me who has discontinued fabric. There is another Walmart 16 miles north that still has fabric (yes, it's in another town). Even when I don't plan to buy fabric or crafts material, maybe just buying pet items, dogfood, a few foodstuffs, I will go to the Walmart that has the fabric. I usually spend anywhere from $60 to $100, but the store that has fabric is the store that gets my money.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Here's the one I got yesterday, and my reply to it: --

---- My original msg to WM ----

(I wrote) I want quilting fabrics, both yardage and pre-cuts, back in the Wal-Mart stores. You-All need to do some kind of community study and find out how much business you are missing by cutting out this very lucrative hobby/craft that SO MANY OF US do to the tune of several thousands dollars a month.

----- Walmart Reply to my first email -----

Thank you for your message.

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local store. As with any merchandise decision that we make, we have based our decision to reduce the stitching and fabric departments on customer demand, which does not appear to be as high today for a full stitching and fabric offering in some markets as it may have been at Walmart in the past.

In keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart is converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life's celebrations. We are thrilled to offer our customers this exciting new crafts and celebrations center that makes available craft and party planning needs along with information on current trends and new ideas in the area of life's celebrations, such as holidays, weddings and birthdays.

In those stores where the new crafts and celebrations center is placed, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be included in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc. As a part of this conversion, most of our new and remodeled stores that opened earlier this year, as well as a small number of existing stores, will feature the new crafts and celebrations center in place of bolt fabrics. Walmart will continue to carry cut fabric in most of our stores. Due to the continued evaluation of our stores, we are unable to share a list of existing stores scheduled to receive the new crafts and celebrations center at this time.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

-----(My reply to WM's response)-----

It is evident that you do not have the pulse of the quilting public. Online groups are very active, and very vocal, and and spend a lot of money.

Sincerely,
Inquiring Customer
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Not based on any type of "scientific" fact, but my own personal opinion is they are doing away with the fabric department because it requires an employee to assist each customer who wants fabric cut. The new department, with precut fabrics and notions on the wall are "help yourself", thereby saving WalMart the cost of personnel.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:52 PM

I went to one of the WM's close by that just remodeled and they have one aisle with precut fabric in 1 and 2 yard lengths. They also had some fabrics cut and put together with a pattern. The select was somewhat limited but not too bad. They also had fat quarters and some jellyrolls.
I don't know how they choose which stores to have this aisle though. Our other 2 don't have it.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by CountryStitching
Not based on any type of "scientific" fact, but my own personal opinion is they are doing away with the fabric department because it requires an employee to assist each customer who wants fabric cut. The new department, with precut fabrics and notions on the wall are "help yourself", thereby saving WalMart the cost of personnel.
I agree absolutely, that's what some of our local WM employees told us about it too.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 PM

the reason Walmarts ended the fabric department is because they had a hard time finding workers that could actually cut the fabric. It takes intelligence and math skills to cut fabric, and just take a look at some of those that are hired at Walmart., that's the answer. Have you ever tried to actually get help from a Walmart worker. Standard answer, "That's not my department area., i will send someone to you." and then you wait, wait, wait. Enough said abt. Walmart.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM

This is not the truth.
I live in a rurally isolated area the closest big town is over forty miles away and there was always a large demand for fabric and notions in the walmart here.
It has nothing to do with customer demand.
People in this small town, less than 5.000 people, walmart came in and ran the other two fabric stores in town out of business now we have to drive the forty plus miles for fabric. I myself have boycotted the local walmart.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM

This HOT topic should be sent to WalMart...or maybe some kind of mail program......After all, we are the folks who keep WalMart in business. I dont believe I have ever left WM with less than $100 in purchases, sometimes fabric and sometimes not, however, always many other items. With no fabric to choose from, and maybe purchase, I will probably shop locally and make my fabric purchases otherwise.