Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy) >

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I use white vinegar and water for my floors- hardwood and tile. Vacumming- I just got THE BEST vacuum ever made- my gs, Zack. He has this fascination for the central vacuum. I take one piece out to make it his size and let him go! He was here for a week end and vacuumed 4 times. We had to hide it from him. He even vacuums the couches. He also takes Pledge wipes and dusts. Right now he is walking around with a kitchen dishrag, washing the kitchen table and the coffee table.

He tells me when the washer and dryer buzzers go off and helps fold and switch loads.

Cheap labor too- give him dinner and his favorite movie and some popcorn and its great.

Seriously- I saved the vacuuming for him today. :)

I also have a way to deal with my "control" issue of wanting everything super clean and living with those who do not share that level of clean- the guest room is spotless. I go in there and just gaze at it's neatness and I feel so in control. It relaxes me.
Where do you get a Zach? Lucky you; the best I can do is a 10 year old grand-daughter who likes to organize my sewing table.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM

The only problem with a Zack is they wear out. By the time they are teenagers they forget the training.

My Andrew was the same way- very helpful. Now- was almost a hoarder until I embarrassed him into cleaning (made him watch the tv show). My son Jerry always has helped- I always said he was going to make his wife happy. She says he doesn't do anything but he does all the laundry- here!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by everbtrue
A friend of mine gave me the best time saver yet. She read it in a woman's magazine 30 years ago or longer. The suggestion? Don't wash your ceiling every time you wash your walls. Once a month is enough.
Who the heck washes their ceiling???? I hope you are being sacastic! I "dust mop" my ceiling maybe twice a year.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Before I started quilting (about a year ago) I had a schedule ( I know this is spelled wrong) I would vacuum Mon, Wed, Fri Bsthrooms on Tues Etc. Worked really well. But after starting to quilt went in the "circular" file. Now I try to clean one room a day. and also vaccum twice a week. With four fur babies that really isn,t enough,but I have finally realized that life is too short to obsese about it. My house is always tidy and picked up and no clutter...just don't look too closly in the corners! LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Dix

Housework-----bite your tongue. When my choices are quilting, traveling and playing with grand children! Where would housework come into play?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Gramof6
Tell the men that leave things lying around "I am cleaning in the morning & everything that is left out of place is going to get tossed into a laundry basket if not the grabage."
If I did that, my guy would be running around naked! :-)
Yea mine too !!!!! and mine wouldn't care cause He'd love it!!!!!
Ditto!
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Huh..I seem to have a limit to my cleaning motivation!! When I first moved here with no clutter, it was easy to take a few hours once a week and do what didn't get done on an as you go basis!! Then a few illnesses (B-cancer to start with) caused me to get behind..9 years ago..and I've never caught up since :lol: :lol: And clutter seems to be the overriding culprit!! I lost my big old dog last year and haven't had the desire to replace her (because I can't :cry: ) so I've finally caught up with the dog hair..mostly!! I still find it hidden...I think she drops it down once in a while as a reminder..or just to tick me off :lol: My adult son moved back in after college..with all his junk AND an every other weekend granddaughter and all her junk!!! She's worth it though!!

I have a hard time letting stuff go..not sentimental, just frugal (I have used many of my kids things with my DGD)...SO..

Here's my tip.. the easiest way to make your bedroom look neat and tidy before you shut the light off in the morning to head for work??? Make your bed :-D Its the biggest object in that room and a neatly made bed makes the room look neat. An added bonus..When I walk in there to go to bed at night and turn the bed down I feel more relaxed!! I know its not the clean sheet feel, which is great, but it is a satisfaction of some type :lol: Its much easier to fall asleep in a straightened bed then a mass of rumpled up sheets and blankets..really :lol: Then I can dream of a clean house......!!
Old 09-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Dee

Clean the kitchen after dinner. Other is just tidy up. After all tomorrow is another day.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Google Goddess

yes, I have been trying to clean up the kitchen each time, sure makes it easier!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Di
Originally Posted by dslone
Get a maid lol
Sounds like a great idea to me!!! I'm not doing any housework until I am finished with all the flannel rag quilts I am making for Project Linus. I do the snipping in my family room and the wood floor looks like carpet (well, almost) from all the fuzz. I have 4 more to snip and a couple to make from all the scraps from the last few years, then it will be clean, clean, clean.
I have a suggestion for picking up all that fuzz. Believe me I'm NO good housekeeper! But I have experienced the fuzz phemonenum. Instead of stuffing your vacuum cleaner with the stuff, spray water or room refresher over the fuzz and give it a quick run of the broom or Swiffer (sp?). The water will keep it from flying all over the place. Then once the bulk is swept away, you can do the remaining fuzzies with the vacuum cleaner.

This idea comes from something I learned over sixty years ago. My family owned a general merchandise store (know what that is?). Every evening before closing, one of the workers went around with a sprinkler bottle -- a little bottle stopper with holes in the top used for sprinkling clothes before ironing--and sprinkled the floor lightly. Then, when they swept the floors, dust didn't fly all over the place.