Why did you marry?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM

I met my husband in 1998 and he was 54 and I was 45. Dec 5, 2005 we got engaged and got married 2 1/2 weeks later. We knew we were going to spend the rest of our lives together, but decided to make it legal because of insurance. It sounds kind of jaded, but we both knew the advantages of being "legal" that you don't have just being together.

On the romantic side, he makes me feel treasured. He waits on me hand and foot. He's retired now and I'm still working. He fixes dinner every night and cleans it up. He does clean house too, but....it's not quite to my standard! lol
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM

After 19 years together, Married 18 years in May, this is the quote that I found before our wedding, and remains the truth today:

"This is the true measure of love, When we believe that we alone can love, That no one could ever have loved so before us, And that no one will ever love in the same way after us."
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Well to be honest....My father had a shotgun..lol however, 42 years later, I'd say we made the right choice.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

It sounded like a good idea at the time. <ggggg> It's been 34 years and still sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM

We were high school sweethearts. He was the smartest guy I'd every met and the only guy I've ever dated.

We had our 40th wedding anniversary on Sunday. Most people, including many family members, said we were too young (18 when we married) and it wouldn't last. Ha! I guess we showed them!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by suezquilts
We met at 16, both not living the life we should. At 17 my DH came to God literally, and wanted to end our relationship. At that time I was nearly 18, and listen to the message of the Gospel, and I came to the Knowledge of God. It changed our whole lives, we both quit the horrible teen scene we were in.
We knew we had to married, we had each other in our new relationship with God. DH had no real family, it has been a wonderful trip.
16 yrs ago yesterday I had found out I was pregnant and it was a miracle. Our last child was 12 and the oldest 16.
So Valentines Day is pretty special.
I am so happy for. You don't hear of many real happy marriages.
Why I got married? I was crazy about him, but didn't work out, he liked beer more than me.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

he wore me down. really- I was married before, was very hurt and never wanted to marry again. I didn't want a diamond. But I was committed to him- we had 2 boys together. Our son, age 5, said- why doesn't Mommy have one of those white rocks? He meant a diamond. I said I didn't want one, but spouse felt I needed one. He proposed and we married, a few years later. We have his, hers and ours- 4 boys and 3 girls. After 27 years, I'm still angry with the ex (dirtbag) and still don't want to get married. But I did it because I believe in him. And he is the love one dreams of- the almost perfect spouse, because I don't want a perfect one or I'd be bored. But he's a keeper and can't wait for the day to retire with him.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM

He is my best freind, and he still makes me laugh
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Easy answer for this one: I just couldn't imagine living without him. 44 years later, I still can't.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:10 PM

We dated when I was 14 he was 16 he proposed to me after about 6 months I knew we were to young and were in school He went on the wheat harvest I didnt think he called enoughso I dropped him He got married at 17 way to young and I always knew I would marry him someday the year I graduated high school he moved back to town and was getting a divorce. We started dating and got married a year later, I told him it was because his little girl fell in love with me and wanted me to be her mother. I dont know why but I always new I would marry him someday. Our 45 anniversary is coming up in May but he passed away 3 years ago. He was truly my soulmate we had ups and downs but love always shown through oh how I miss my man