Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Let's see...How do we lose weight? To lose one pound of fat you have to expend 3500 calories. You can do that by either exercising or by consuming less calories. But the bottom line is 3500 calories have to go away to lose one pound.

If you lose 10 pounds then that is 35,000 calories. That is alot of whopping calories.

If you lose 20 pounds then it would mean you used up 70,000 calories or you consumed 70,000 calories less than normal.

So when you are examining the amount of weight you want to lose look at how many calories have to be expended. Either reduce the caloric intake or increase the activity.

Does this make sense? If you have any questions ask away. There is a whole host of people with tremendous wisdom on this thread!

Missy
Missy you are a world of information thank you so much!!!!!
Thank you for the info. Now I need to get my butt moving!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gwyn
You are right.

I'm down to about 400-500 calories a day (doctor supervised)
Walking in my house about 1 hour a day
And taking a special medication to reduce fluid retention.

I'm not trying to win a prize. I just thought someone out there would be happy that I am finally starting to move down. Guess not.
Gywn I'm thrilled that you are finally making progress with your weight. I know you have struggled for much to long and hard. Keep it up it will payoff in more ways than we can imagine

Hugs
Gail
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Gwyn has graciously withdrawn from the weight loss challenge this month. I wish her well as I am sure everyones does in her weight loss, healthy lifestyle.

I hope you keep up the great work and we will see a new healthy skinny Gwyn. Feel free to follow along and comment along with pictures of your transformations. Pictures say 1000 words at at the rate you are going we will have the insentive we need to go forward with our own weight loss goals.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

I have only lost .4 so far. But keepin on, keepin in.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by Gwyn
You are right.

I'm down to about 400-500 calories a day (doctor supervised)
Walking in my house about 1 hour a day
And taking a special medication to reduce fluid retention.

I'm not trying to win a prize. I just thought someone out there would be happy that I am finally starting to move down. Guess not.
I am happy that you have lost so much HOWEVER if you are down to 400-500 calories per day and are being supervised by a doctor the rest of the players CAN NOT compete with that. You have an advantage over them............and very unfair advantage. I will have to make a decision as to if you would even qualify to win if you are the biggest loser at the end of the month.
I already withdrew from the contest. I never wanted to be in the contest because my weight will fluctuate as much as 50 pounds in a month. The doctor is working on it. I just hope this time is the last time all my food has to be medicine. Someday, I would love to have a chance to eat what tastes good and not feel guilty or worried about the scale. I am sick and tired of that )(*^()^ scale telling me if I am good or bad. Later ladies...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
Well I have not lost a ounce but I checked out 5 gyms and am joining the Y today.I lack all motivation so this is a pretty big step to just join.Now I will just have to go.If I eat anything sweet I have craving that just won't stop.I know my triggers but do I avoid them,NO.Yea Gwyn,that is great.
Cindy, don't get discouraged. Hang in there. Your motivation will come. Keep reading this board and it will click when you least expect it. I'm rooting for ya! Sandy
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Gwyn, Way to go!!!!! Proud of you and for you. Keep up the good work. Sandy
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by NannySandy
Originally Posted by cbridges22
Well I have not lost a ounce but I checked out 5 gyms and am joining the Y today.I lack all motivation so this is a pretty big step to just join.Now I will just have to go.If I eat anything sweet I have craving that just won't stop.I know my triggers but do I avoid them,NO.Yea Gwyn,that is great.
Cindy, don't get discouraged. Hang in there. Your motivation will come. Keep reading this board and it will click when you least expect it. I'm rooting for ya! Sandy
Hang in there! I was so proud because I was down to 229 then back up to 232.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

So I started off last week on this. But I am not doing so well. I gained 2 pounds. I thought I was doing well, but towards the end of the week it got harder to stay on track. I really want to lose weight. It is just hard. It is cold, so I am always looking for something to eat that is warm. It is cold, so I am not going outside. Oh well. There is always "tomorrow."
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

Gwyn,
getting that much fluid off your body is tremendous. Too often we think weight loss = fat loss....
We want/need your encouragement... We also want to encourage you as you journey on in your healthy lifestyle. Medications play havoc with weight; whether from water retention or fat retention...
You still lost 20 lbs in 11 days....that is a huge relief off your heart muscle, your knees thank you as well as your back.
Please let us know your victories and what the Dr. is doing to help you with your quest.
{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}