Boom 31 Spring

Old 05-19-2024, 12:44 PM

Logcabin, congrats on getting your Boom quilts done! Which swap is this one? I cannot make out the pix well on my phone.

Terriamn, I hope your daughter’s dog recovers well from surgery and that the tumor is not malignant. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for your “grand-dog”. Our Ripley has spleen cancer, no surgery bc she couldn’t survive it, and she’s doing very well. She’s already outlived the vet’s prediction so I’m hoping she keeps happily going for a long time to come.

I was meandering with my blocks again but royally messed up one of my own. Just spent an hour removing all the quilting. It was terrible. Will try again tomorrow but I think this poor block won’t make it into the quilt!
Old 05-19-2024, 02:03 PM

Oh, wow! Look at all of those batiks, LC. I have a project box filled and pattern in hand for a batik quilt but must finish some UFO's first. Enjoyed looking at beauties.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:40 PM

Terriamn I hope boomer comes through. I recall the vet telling me that the dogs are programmed on pretending they are well. Has to with the strongest/weakest in the pack. Just live on him, poor thing.

Old 05-20-2024, 03:28 AM

Terri, I agree totally with the vet. Dogs can be stoic and not show any signs of trouble. We watch our pup scrupulously with this in mind. We don’t think she’s in pain yet but at the first sign, we know what we’ve got to do.

Wmuteach, your blocks are in the queue for delivery today. I’m going to start the sort once they arrive so I can be ready to ship shortly after Hav’s block come in.

Wow, it’s foggy right now. So dense it’s not a good idea to walk yet. I’m at 4 out of 5 days and I’m beginning to feel the pull of walking. That’s a good sign for me. I always have a better day on walking days.

Hope everyone has a terrific week ahead.

Old 05-20-2024, 05:33 AM

Love the ballerina Block! Hugs!!
Old 05-20-2024, 12:03 PM

Log cabin your batik top is going to be a beautiful quilt. I already have my 2 fabrics ready for the next boom otherwise I was thinking of sending some of my batiks.

Boomer is hanging in there, he wouldn’t eat so they made him a small amount hamburger and rice and he gobbled that down. A good baby step in the right direction.

Our good friend who is also fighting cancer has been in ICU but also improving. His wife went to take him to chemo and he was so shaky and weak he fell almost taking Tracey with him. He only has one chemo treatment left then he will start radiation. Hoping for strength to end this part of the treatment.

Beautiful day here, the birds are just singing away
Old 05-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Prayers for your friend, Terri. And also for Boomer.. Hope he recovers well.
Janice, how did your vet detect the spleen cancer in Ripley? I’ve never heard of such a thing, but I guess our pets can get the same ailments that we humans get.

I am also trying to be a daily walker. I walk here on our property so if it rains hard I may miss a day. I try to get 3000 steps every day… don’t know what that translates to in miles. It’s not a lot, but I’m building back my stamina after breast cancer. I get tired faster than I used to.

Speaking of b.c., About a week ago I decided to ditch my cancer pills. These are the hormone blockers you are told to take for 5 years after b.c.. I took them for 6 months and my quality of life wasn’t worth continuing. They can cause bolt clots in your legs, as well as uterine cancer. So I am done. The side effects outweigh any benefit. Can’t wait for all of it to leave my body, but I hear it can take years.

Im out to do my walking!
Old 05-20-2024, 03:53 PM

SBG, Due to Ripley’s extremely low platelet count (10 percent of normal) they couldn’t do surgery bc she’d bleed out. Her blood doesn’t clot. They did X-rays and ultrasounds and detected “lumps and bumps”, the vet’s words, not mine, on her spleen. That and the clotting problem lead to a diagnosis of probable spleen cancer. The only definitive test is a biopsy but she can’t have one due to the clotting issue. So we’re left knowing she’s ill but not knowing what’s going to happen. If it is spleen cancer, it will likely rupture sooner rather than later at which point she’ll be euthanized. Right now though, honestly, she’s living her best life. 110 percent of our attention and love, and still zooming daily! I appreciate every day with her. (She’s snoring beside me on the sofa right now.)

SBG, a friend of mine who had BC and a lumpectomy must be taking similar meds to what you have had. I think she’s about to ditch them as well. She was told to take them for 5 years. She swears they’re affecting her memory which has been very good. Now she struggles with words.

Terri, I hope your friend has the strength to make it through the chemo and radiation. So hard but I hope he comes out the other side well.

We should have a walking support group!

Last edited by Janice McC; 05-20-2024 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:57 AM

WMUTeach, your pkg arrived yesterday. Thank you!

Janice McC - 2 sets
Cheesehead - 1 set
Terriamn - 2 sets
Hav4boys - 2 sets*
Sewbizgirl - 2 sets
SusieQOH - 1 set
LogCabin82 - 1 set
RebaQuilts - 1 set
TravelingGramma - 1 set
Macybaby - 2 sets
Libster - 2 sets
Lstew2212 - 1 set
WMUTeach - 1 set

I started organizing the spare room last night. Everything is all set for when Hav’s blocks come in.

Watching the hummingbirds with my cup of coffee. They’re beginning their day with breakfast and off they zoom! So much fun to see. Have a lovely day.
Old 05-21-2024, 04:49 AM

I did take the post BC pills for the 5 years as recommended. When the oncologist talked about the current recommendation being kicked up to ten years, I bolted. No, no no! I am not going to live with that hanging over me. My cancer spot was minuscule about the size of a pencil dot. Now days they would not even do the surgery on something that small. (Poor BC family history was a deciding factor.) My steps to recovery from the surgery were yucky the first week but after that, no big deal. The docs even cut my radiation days down by about 1/3. I was blessed in so many ways.

Good for you SBG for taking your health into your own hands! BTW, 3000 is about a mile and a half. I am in the process of kicking up my steps to 4000. Getting there more often but not every day yet. Our strength and stamina are influenced by so many things, including attitude, sleep, drive, pain/discomfort and the ability to look at the long picture.

Time to strap on our walk'en shoes and conquer our own goals.

Oh, yeah the vets info about dogs masking their illness is true for cats too. My last friendly, responsive, and affectionate little cat, Scout, went down hill in about a month. When I took her to the vet because of not eating and hiding, she was found to be riddled with cancerous growths that had likely been growing for months if not years. Who knew? We just love our four-footed family members and care for them until...... it is time.